Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Stingy Merry

Merry Christmas everyone!   It's not Christmas for two days yet, but bring on the merry anyway.   I hope you get all your merry well worked out, because for some reason, this is the only time of the year we celebrate the merry.  

It's not Merry New Year.   We don't have a Merry St. Patrick's Day and no one wishes you a Merry Valentine's Day.   Labor Day and Memorial Day certainly aren't merry and the other bank holidays such as Columbus day and Veteran's day never struck me as merry occasions, especially on the occasions when I need to get banking business done on those days.

Independence day and/or fourth of July, although usually a drunken bash of a day, hasn't stepped up to being merry yet.   We eat a lot of food at Christmas, but we do the same at Thanksgiving and yet Thanksgiving staunchly remains a "happy" day.   If it was about sweets instead, surely Halloween would rank high enough to qualify for being a "merry" day, but alas, it somehow it misses the mark.

If, however, the word "merry" is somehow associated with the total consumer dollars spent towards that holiday, then I think we have our answer:  no other holiday can afford to be merry.

The Big Boy Update:  My children had watched some television this morning.   At times, I think my son would like to watch television all day, even though we don't let him.   This morning he said to me, "could you turn the television off now?"   I did.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We are still talking about the boat that sank with the king and queen from the movie Frozen.   We've been listening to the soundtrack a lot recently and every time we get to the downturn part of "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?" where the boat sinks in the movie, my children ask about it.   Death is a part of the cycle of life, but they're still trying to understand that there were people on the boat and there was a bad storm and the boat wasn't able to make it back and it sunk.   We've talked about weather and storms and how the ocean is big and no, it wasn't the fault of the people and that it was very sad but that Anna and Elsa had each other.   It's been interesting to see how they process the whole thing.   They're not upset, they just want to understand.

Fitness Update:  Gym circuit today of interesting things to do.   I'm getting a little tired of having modified exercises because of my neck, but it's working in so far as I haven't had a bad problem with my shoulder since we started doing the modifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment