Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Hello Threshold

When my children started at their school I didn't know anyone.   Over time I grew to know the families in my child's class, the teachers my children worked with and some of the other staff and administrators at the school.    I remember one school event early on where all the teachers introduced themselves and I thought I'd never get them all straight.

I was asked to join the board of trustees in the spring of my first year.  I met more people through the end of the first year.   The second year I started substitute teaching.  I learned other children's names from that work.  I was on several committees and I met more people and learned more names.

It's not part-way through our third year at the children's school.   From the substitute teaching I know almost every child's name at school.   They also know me and like to say hello to me.   I know all the teachers and staff as well.   From my work on the board and committees, particularly through the annual fund and capital campaign, I know many more families I wouldn't have otherwise interacted with or met.

In short, I know almost everyone.   We had an all-school event this past Friday in which our students performed for the families and other students.  It's a very nice end to the first half of the school year.   For the first time though, I felt overwhelmed by the number of hello's I was getting.   I wanted to speak to each person who talked to me, but there just wasn't time while I managed my two and found out what I had to to do coordinate cleanup at the end of the event.

I had reached the hello threshold.   There were more hello's to be said than there was time to say hello.   It was nice though, having so many friendly people to greet and talk to before our holiday break began.

The Big Boy Update:  My son lost a sock yesterday.  I don't know where it went, but I think at this point it's gone for good.   For the remainder of the day my son walked around with one sock on.   I asked him if he wanted to take the sock off and he told me, "no, it's my magic foot."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We went to a party at a friend's house today.   My daughter had never been to this house and yet when she got there she wasn't shy at all.   She ran around with the other children there and played without worrying one bit about the unfamiliar adults all around her.  I'm glad she's not clingy and overly shy.

Fitness Update:  Winter Solstice run this morning.   We ran fifteen miles and I'm tired right now as I write this.   That's what training's for though.    It was a great day to run in the park, crisp and sunny albeit chilly weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment