Monday, August 4, 2014

The Sandy Sneeze

We're on vacation at the beach at my husband's brother's home.  Today the rain stopped, the sun came out and the clouds even went elsewhere.  We took advantage of the good weather to pack up a lunch and take their boat from their lagoon to the inlet.   

My husband drove one of their jet skis along side us and my children waved to him, my son shouting instructions to him that he couldn't hear, during the ride.   We got to the inlet, which is a nice spot at the edge of the ocean but without the waves of the ocean front beach.    They set out two anchors and attached the jet ski to the side of the boat and we were ready to enjoy an afternoon in the sun.

My children ate their lunch quickly, because they wanted to get off the boat and get to the beach.  We had brought a big shovel and sand castle building tools.    They found the water a little cold, but they made it to the shore and then much sand play was had. 

My husband and their cousin, Kyle, helped them build sand castles, moats, bridges, tunnels and holes.  My children mostly jumped on top of everything they made and scooped sand with the smaller shovels.    

My son got sand all over him.  He would lie down in the dry sand and roll around.   Sand in salt water is sticky so it stuck to him.  I had to walk him through the deep water to get as much of the caked sand off of him as I could on the way back to the boat.   (They didn't want to go back to the boat.)

My son and daughter each had a ride on the jet ski with my husband that they really liked.   My daughter wanted to "go faster" a lot.  (I hope that's not foreshadowing for her post-pubescent future.)  

On the ride back my children huddled under their towels in the wind from the boat's speed and arrived home asleep.   They were not pleased to be woken up and shoved into a shower; my son was especially unhappy.  

Once he got in the warm water in the shower though, he didn't want to get out.   He just wanted to stand there with the warm water running over his back.   I pulled him out eventually and dried him off and did a bit of blow-drying of his hair.   

A short time later my children were at the table relaxing with their iPads.   I was looking at what my son was doing when he suddenly sneezed...and sand went all over the iPad.  How could sand still be in his hair after the long shower and blow-drying?    I had to take him outside and tousle his hair to try and get the sand out.   

The Big Boy Update:  We were walking to get donuts yesterday morning and crossed several streets.  I heard my son say, "it says 'stop, do not enter.'"  I turned around and there was a Do Not Enter sign we just passed.  I looked at my husband and said, "how did he know it said that?"   We don't know how he knew, he can't read.    Children are like little mental sponges.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Mom, it's dark outside."  My daughter didn't want to go to bed tonight.  She said it was still light outside.   I asked her if she wanted to wait until it was dark to go to bed and she told me she did.  (It was almost dark.)  I didn't see what she did after that until five minutes later when she said across the room, "mom, it's dark outside."   She had been sitting in a chair, looking out the window to watch it grow dark.   I asked her if she was ready to go to bed, she nodded, and then headed into the bedroom to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment