Friday, August 8, 2014

Non-parent Does Not Mean Non-children

Recently I was at out annual "Girls Weekend" with some of my favorite girlfriends.   We drink wine, talk about any subject, no matter how risqué or taboo, and in general, have a good time.  There are a collection of us and we each have chosen a different path as adults.

Some of the ladies have decided not to have children, while others of us didn't learn our lesson after the first child and had a second, or even third child.   Whatever the choice, each of us is happy in the direction we've chosen, be it children or no children.

My best friend from elementary school said something to me that I hadn't thought about during that weekend.  She and her husband decided some years back to not to have children.   She told us that just because a person decides to not have children, it doesn't mean they dislike children.   She and her husband like my children and the children the other families in our girls network have.  They bring them birthday and holiday gifts, and they like to play with our children.

It's something I hadn't thought about until she said it.   And she's right, I was incorrectly assuming that people who elected to not have children may not like children.  I was reminded of it again this weekend when Uncle Bob and Uncle Brian visited us on vacation.   Both uncles like my children and have a great time chasing them around and playing with them.    Both uncles don't have children of their own, but are some of the best playmates for my two children.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is making up all kinds of words lately, the most famous being, "pahmer".  He told me yesterday, "Pahmer and Pooder and me are inside."  I asked,  "who is Pooder?"  He told me, "nobody. They're just my family.  I have a lot of family.  I keep them in my pocket."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is finally becoming interested in keeping her hair out of her face.   She woke up this morning and told me, "my hair is falling down."  I helped get it out of her face and she was completely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment