Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pudgy Fudgy-wudgy

I've been making ice cream with that ice cream maker I didn't want but then decided I needed and now I don't want to go without it.   As long as I have some sort of milk product (preferably with a high fat content), sugar and thirty minutes, I can make ice cream.   Barring milk in the house, I can make a sorbet with sugar, fruit or even fruit juices.  But I'm mostly about the ice cream.

Wait, that's not true; that mojito sorbet I've made twice now with the fresh mint leaves is dynamite.   But back to the ice cream topic for now.   Milk, sugar, vanilla and <insert flavor item> and you have something possibly more exciting than vanilla ice cream, or possibly a bust.  

I had some bananas that were going bad so I stuck them in the freezer.   When they were frozen, I cut them up and made ice cream with them.  I wasn't sure what it was going to taste like, but overripe bananas are sweet, so I didn't add the full amount of sugar.  I'm glad I didn't, because that ice cream was not only one of my favorites, it would have been far too sweet with the normal amount of sugar.   I've never had banana ice cream before (that I can remember) but I'm not sure why I haven't tried it, it is my new favorite ice cream.

I had another item I had too much of recently—fudge.   It was girls weekend at the mountains and there was fudge and I fell for the, "buy two slabs and get a third huge slab for free" bit.   I am normally immune to those ploys, but darn it, I was hungry.

I brought the extra two slabs home and stuck them in the freezer.   Today, I decided to chop them up and make ice cream with bits of fudge in it.   My daughter helped me in-between eating bits of the fudge that was sitting out on the counter.

Some of the fudge melted and mixed in with the ice cream, making it light in color, but distinctly fudge-related flavor-wise.  I added the last third of the fudge at the end so there would be pieces in the final batch.   I wasn't sure I was going to like it.   My husband loves it.  He says it's his favorite ice cream yet.

He told me I should start giving these ice creams fancy, memorable names like the Ben and Jerry's chain does.   So, in honor of all the calories from the heavy cream, half-and-half, sugar and fudge in this batch.  I named it, "Pudgy Fudgy-wudgie" because if you ate a lot of it, you'd be sure to become pudgy.

The Big Boy Update:  Okay, watching Monsters, Inc. was a bad idea.   My son is gets scared at night about monsters now.  We saw it on the ride home last Sunday and now he's got issues when he goes to sleep.   We're working on helping him through this, his first nighttime fear, but it may take a bit to get over.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter went to, "Soccer Ball" class today with her friend from school, Jacob.  My son went as well, but she I think really liked the class.   My son liked it too, but he wasn't as interested as she was.  She was good at listening to the instructions, kicking the ball, sitting quietly and waiting for the next thing to do, and of course, holding Jacob's hand when there was time.

No comments:

Post a Comment