Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Refrigerator Schema

Refrigerators are busy members of any household.   Everyone has a different plan for what their refrigerator should hold and do for their family.  This week, we're sharing space in my brother- and sister-in-law's refrigerator.  

By necessity, their refrigerator is quite full.  They have guests arriving and leaving all the time and those guests each have things they want to keep in the refrigerator.   My relatives are very flexible with their refrigerator storage, even when it gets crammed and packed full so that there's no room for anything else to be wedged in.

Food can be a bounty, but too much food is a burden.  Everyone bringing, "just what you need" (when it's not at all what you like) makes for a frustratingly full refrigerator.

I have expectations for my refrigerator at home.   It's not unlike the expectations for my house and my life.   There should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place.   The ketchup should always be in the same, ketchupy place.   The mustard should be in it's mustard spot and the sodas should always reside on the soda shelf.   Don't move the milk out of its milk cubby, and definitely don't hide the beer in a spot other than the beer storage spot.

My brother- and sister-in-law's refrigerator has different rules.   It's like a three-dimensional Tetris box.   Things get stored so that the most items can be fit into the space available.  In the few short days I've been here, the ketchup has been in four different spots...each time, well-positioned to make the best use of the space.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son wants to swim in his cousin's "galoon".   We told him if he got his swim suit on he could swim in their lagoon.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We were waiting for our seafood order to be ready at a local restaurant.   My children were dancing to a live musician playing a guitar in front of the restaurant.   My daughter looked up at me and said, "he's playing a tar!"

No comments:

Post a Comment