Monday, August 11, 2014

Back in the List of Things

We're back from vacation.   There are several more weeks until school starts back, but my list of things to do has been getting longer.   It's literally longer because I manage it on my computer and I've been having to scroll down to see the most recently added items.   I don't like long lists that indicate I haven't been keeping up on things.

Now, admittedly, I'm making the list long myself.  No one is making me do these things.  It's me, sating to myself, "it's been eight months, you need to seal the granite countertops again," or "that light fixture with the flicker hasn't been looked at in six months."

Today I got a good number of things checked off the list, but I think I added just as many back on.   I talked with my husband about time frames on some things, like doing touch-up painting on the house.   December we'll have been in the home for four years and while two reasonably responsible adults wouldn't have made that much of a mess of the walls, two adults plus two feisty toddlers do make for a lot of scratches, dents and marks that are starting to become quite noticeable in some of the more heavily-travelled areas.   But for now, we're going to put off the paint work until cooler weather, so that item got pushed out and off my list for now.

My husband is very much a help in these list things.  He does lots on his own, but he's always willing to take over some of the things that suit him better than they would me (say the electrical work with that flickering light fixture).

If today is any indication, it's going to be a productive week list-wise.   I was a bum before vacation, it's about time.

The Big Boy Update:  I found a rock that was water worn while my son and I were walking yesterday.  He liked it and held it for a while until he found a similar rock, embedded in a six-inch piece of broken-off concrete.   He figured out if he threw the concrete on the sidewalk, parts would break off.  For several blocks he did this, breaking the piece down and getting closer to his target stone.  The final break knocked the stone out almost perfectly.  My son, in classic toddler style, left the pebble half and walked off with the concrete-only piece.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The one inch putt.  We went to play mini golf two days ago.  My son and daughter didn't understand what was going on last year when we brought them, but this year they got it.  My daughter liked making the ball go into the hole.  She would walk over to the hole, carefully place the ball one inch away from the hole, aim at the ball with her club and knock it in.   She would then exclaim, "I got it!"

Fitness Update:  I told my trainer today that I had had a, "very caloric intensive vacation" and he laughed.  He told me if I couldn't keep up or had to skip some exercises today, that that was all right.   I asked him if he was trying to make me cry and he laughed again.   I kept up, but it was a tough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment