Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Easter Egg Dying

We dyed Easter eggs today.  I know, it's August, but it just worked out that way.  Let me explain...

My mother brought us an Easter egg dying kit sometime back in February or March.  Since that time, it's been sitting in the pantry, waiting to be used.  It had all sorts of fun things like stickers, glitter and tattoos, as well as the traditional pellets of color you put in little cups and dye the eggs.

We went to Florida for Easter, so we didn't dye eggs during Easter proper.   The kit sat and I looked at it from time to time but didn't do anything, mostly because my son has had in the past an egg white allergy.  

Today, I was hungry for eggs and my children were looking for something to do.   I went to the store after going to the chiropractor and got eggs.  I got home and told them we were going to dye eggs.  My daughter immediately got her stool and wanted to help.  She stirred bowls of vinegar and water and watched the color tablets dissolve.

I looked at the other items in the packet and immediately threw away anything having to do with glitter.   Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies, because you can't ever get rid of it.   I saved the stickers and we all watched the eggs boil.

When the eggs were done, they dyed them and then wanted to, "crack them" and sort of, kind of, try a bite or two of them.   They haven't had a lot of eggs on account of my son being allergic for most of his life.  He's fine now, so we're trying to re-introduce eggs.

The stickers weren't that exciting, but cracking and peeling eggs was definitely fun.   It was a mess.   We all enjoyed our late Easter fun.

The Big Boy Update:  Today I looked outside and he was using, "the wee wee bushes" and the neighbor's daughter was watching him.   I came out and told him I was glad he was using the wee wee bushes.  He told me he was using the "prickly" wee wee bushes (the junipers) and that he was *not* going on the grass (something we had to talk about several weeks ago).

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Green is her favorite color.  Without a doubt, in all circumstances.  She loves green (or 'gween' as she calls it).   She hasn't wavered from green in more than a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment