Monday, April 14, 2014

The Solid Surface Segment

I don't know if you remember back when "solid surface" counter tops became popular.  They were revolutionary in that the material was very hard yet durable and totally solid, so that you wouldn't scratch or chip through it like you would a veneer counter top.  I was young, and by that I mean I was far too young to be living on my own from my parents, but some day, I thought, I'd have those great solid surface counter tops.

Times change and while solid surface is still just as durable as it was years ago, granite counter tops are the new, "must have" for your kitchen or bathroom.  My husband and I liked many of the granite stones and we have granite in more areas of our house than other surfaces, but the one place we decided had to be solid surface was our office desks. 

To be honest, I'm not sure why we decided there was no other option, but I can tell you after three years of working at a desk with warm-to-the-touch surface that won't wear off when I run my mouse over it fifty-thousand times, I am still completely satisfied and glad we made the choice we did. 

As an aside and as a total member of the "feature creature" society, I have to tell you about another interesting aspect of the solid surface counter tops.  It's an acrylic-related product, but what's neat is that to connect segments, the installer does a type of, "melt and fuse" process.  We have an L-shaped office area and I know there's a seam somewhere and I *think* I know where that seam is, but I question myself when I look for it because it could be there, or it could be that spot three inches over and, well, I'm not altogether sure.   I mention this because we had to do some special tricks with colored caulking material to disguise the seam in our kitchen's granite counter tops.

All this is preamble to the topic of this blog post which is, "The Solid Surface Segment."  And for that, we have to go back in time.  I don't know where, nor do I know when, but at some point there was a house around me that was having construction work done.  One day as I was walking the dog or otherwise wandering around I noticed a piece of solid surface counter top in the trash bin for the project.  

I grabbed it (it was trash after all) and I kept it.  I think I had it on my desk for a while and every so often I'd look at it and think how I'd have those counter tops some day.  Eventually the little 18"x1/2" segment went into a box and got stored in the attic...until recently.  When I found it cleaning up some things I decided to bring it downstairs where we had installed our solid surface desk area.  

And here's the interesting thing...that piece from so many years ago is almost a perfect match for what we decided to buy.  Coincidence or had I forgotten but my mind remembered when my husband and I picked our color out?

The Big Boy Update:  Naked nap.  I don't know why and I didn't ask but my son wanted to have a nap naked today.  All went very well until just at the end when he lost his bladder...everywhere.   The washing machine is running as we speak.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "I want to be nakie nakie too."   If her brother was naked, then she wanted to be naked too.  She did a good job, until she got her arm stuck in her shirt, Tarzan/Jane style and needed some help.

Fitness Update:  We were successful in our half marathon yesterday.  Apparently after we finished (because we would have most likely noticed it) two people died during the race.  They were young men, 31 and 35 years in age.   Our thoughts are with their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment