Sunday, April 13, 2014

Rock and Roll Marathon

My neighbor, Uncle Jonathan and I ran in the Rock and Roll marathon today.  The three of us ran the half marathon, mostly because it sounded like an exciting and fun event.   

The course was downtown and all on roads.  I'm not a big fan of road races, mostly because it makes my feet unhappy.  When I started to run I thought I hated trails because it made my feet feel like rocks poking up into the shoes the whole time.  But I realized now that that inconsistent terrain is just one long foot massage and I miss it on road races. 

The start of the race was challenging for me because my shin splints suddenly resurfaced.  It only lasts for three miles, but it's a frustrating three miles.  I slowed down my running mates as I ran along and hoped the distance would go by quickly.

Uncle Jonathan had the worst time of us all.  He had something going on with a knee that became more painful as time and distance wore on.  He isn't sure if it's damage, inflammation or something like IT band pain.  He's going to do some cross-training to see if he can work it out.   Still, we felt badly he was in pain during the race.

We finished the race, had a crazy time finding the car (we knew exactly where it was, just couldn't get there) and ultimately got home before lunch. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son told my mother yesterday, "I want you to get a pair of tweezers and pull out my tooth and put it back here."  We don't know why he wanted to reposition a front tooth to the back of his mouth.  He was non-specific.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told Uncle Jonathan at the table tonight, "I want to cry like a little baby."

Fitness Update:  13.1 at the Rock and Roll Marathon.  Twelve-thousand participants make for busy streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment