Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Safety Video

When was the last time you actually watched the safety video on an airplane before takeoff?  It depends on the airline, some will do the demonstration in person and some have a video that does it for them.  I've been flying for most of my life and I've seen countless demonstrations and videos.

Only, I don't remember them because I never pay attention to them.  I know how to put on my seat belt and when to stay seated.  I know how to work the emergency exit (in theory) and what to do in the case of a water landing.  I know to put the oxygen mask on me first and then help children afterwards and to not be concerned if the bag isn't full, that air is still flowing to the mask.  

I just never pay attention any more.  Then, when I wasn't paying attention but my ears were still picking up sounds on the way to our vacation, I heard the stewardess say something about, "our '80's inspired safety video..." and I looked up to pay attention.

This safety video was great.  It was funny.  It had all the information you needed, but you didn't realize you were paying attention because you were too busy remembering the 1980's with all the references, clothing, hairstyles and gadgets from that time frame.  

The best was the ending, when Kareem Abdul Jabar turns around as co-pilot to end the video...straight out of time from the 1980's and the movie Airplane.    The video was so fun I made sure to watch it on the flight home.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way home my son and I got on the plane together.  He sat in his seat, put his seat belt on, pulled out the safety placard in the chair back and said, "I need to look at the safety information."  "Okay, that was impressive", I thought.  He had recognized the card from when he and my husband had gone over it on the flight the week before.  He spent close to thirty minutes asking me to tell him what all of the diagrams meant and what was happening.  A lot of the information is about "rescuing" people which he loves to talk about.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Where's Greyson go?"  This is my daughter's query grammar right now.  She's stuck in the present tense, although she's getting the contraction correct.  That is unless she's asking, "Where is Greyson" which is basically what she wants to know.  Either way, we understand her and answer her.  (Sometimes multiple times as she likes to ask the same question more than once.)

No comments:

Post a Comment