Friday, April 4, 2014

Children are Funny

It's another post about the children and their shenanigans.  I had no idea how to spell shenanigans.  Thanks, Spell Checker.

The Big Boy Update:
The Onion Cruncher - My son isn't the most adventurous with food, but he is willing to try different things sometimes.  Still, we were both surprised when just before bed he wanted to try raw onion.  Okay, we thought and handed him a small slice.  He crunched and chewed and we waited.   He made it longer than we expected (about ten seconds) before spitting it out. 

The Unmatching Pair of Shoes - Of late, the only shoes that are the "right" shoes are two different crocks (one Batman and one Camo) that are each on the opposite feet.  He gets it rightly wrong each and every time he picks out and puts on his shoes.

iPap - Did I mention before that my son thinks an iPad is an iPap?  He persists in this name, even though we've told him how to pronounce it. 

No Pushing - My son was overly excited two days ago and ended up pushing his sister one too many times as he ran around with lots of energy.  In the afternoon, I got down beside him and talked very quietly to him about how it wasn't nice to push people over and that I expected him to not push his sister or our friends any more.  I asked him if he understood me and he nodded.  Then, when he didn't expect it, I shoved him hard enough for him to fall down.  He was so upset.  He started crying.  I asked him if he liked being pushed so that he fell down (in the same quiet voice) and he said, "Noooo.  I want to go take a nap."  I told him that's what it felt like when he pushed other people down and that he could certainly go take a nap, which he immediately did.

I'm Going to be a Nice Guy -  The talk about not pushing people must have made an impact on him because the next morning when we were in the car on the way to a play date, I told him that I expected him to be nice today and not push anyone.  He said, "I'm going to be a good guy today."  And he was; he was very polite the entire morning at our friend's house.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:
Practical Life Laundry Helper - My daughter likes to help you.  She is very social.  She delights in feeding the dog her food (and making sure the dog eats it all) and she loves to help with the laundry.  The other day she diligently moved all the laundry from the washing machine into the dryer, including climbing almost all the way in to get the last few pieces from the back.

Drying Lucy - After giving the dog a bath, I dry her with a towel.  She only tolerates this, as she'd much rather run around and shake all the water off on the furniture and walls.  My daughter wanted to help dry the dog so she chased after, laughing, trying to get the towel on her.  She never even got close. 

The First Barbie - I got my son a toy yesterday that I knew he'd love.  I wasn't sure what to get my daughter that she would be interested in, so I settled on a Barbie with two small dogs she could put in a little pool.  I wondered what my daughter would think of this Barbie thing.  She loved the small dogs.  I'm not sure she even noticed Barbie.  I never had Barbie dolls myself, so I didn't really blame her.

What color is this? - I asked my daughter today, holding up a new warm-weather shirt.  "It's turkle!", she immediately replied. 

About those colors - She had no clue what color was what several months ago.  We tested her today and suddenly, unexpectedly, she knew the answers to all our color questions.  Except for that mystery, "turkle" color, I think we're past the color hurdle.

Fitness Update:  Finally!  My backside is much better.  I have a half-marathon in less than two weeks so I ran 11.5 miles today.  It was nice to be back out running.

No comments:

Post a Comment