Saturday, April 12, 2014

From Den to Sun room

I grew up in a house with a den.  It was the thing in the 1970's to have a den.  It was cozy and dark, warm and comforting and you watched television in there on your small screened CRT with a knob to change the channels and the antenna on the top for good reception.  That was our den.

It's no longer the 1970's and since dens aren't popular any more, my parents decided to update their den.  My father worked for weeks to paint the walls, get the carpet cleaned and have the hard wood floors redone so that the den would have a brighter feel.

We went over to see the transformation of the den last night.  It's fairly dramatic.  They had a den, now they have a sun room.

The Big Boy Update:  The dust pile at the top of the stairs.  We had just had the house cleaned, and I mean just, when I walked up the stairs to find a strange pile at the top of the steps.  It turns out my son had come in from outside and realized there was a fair load of debris in his shoe.  He took it off and dumped it right in the middle of the hall.  I'm not sure why the other shoe (which was equally full) wasn't bothering his just as much.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Silent follower.  My daughter was having fun with our neighbor, Shane, who was sitting for her.  Shane's grandmother came over to see my daughter, but my daughter didn't remember her from some months ago when she met her before.  She suddenly became shy and clingy.  I did a little test, walking away, only to watch my daughter sidle up beside me again and lean against my leg.  All the adults in the room were watching and laughing at the cute behavior that I'm not sure my daughter realized we were all watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment