Monday, April 21, 2014

Tacking Venture Nastics

Children have special ways of saying things.  For instance, my son called a motorcycle a "mackamuck" for a period of time.  We don't know why he did then and now that he says the word correctly, he can't tell us why either.

My children have mispronounced words consistently, like "a-bay-duh-vuhl" instead of "available" and some words they just say with a cute little child-lisp.  But the thing that makes me laugh the most is the words they say by leaving off one of the syllables. 

For some reason, my children like to leave off the first syllable of some longer words.  My son started going to gymnastics, but insisted on calling it, "nastics".  He can say the syllable, "gym" and if pressed, he can even say the whole word correctly.  But he prefers to drop the first syllable.

This week on vacation they have been doing a lot of fun things.  In the pool there have been teams and my son likes to be on one of those teams.  There were also squirt guns.  My son and daughter both delighted in, "tacking" the other team while they attacked back.

And then there were the "ventures".  Papa would take the children out towards the pond (where the alligators are) and have a fantastic adventure.  There were several "ventures" papa took them on, including one that ended in twilight just before bed tonight.  My son found a golf ball.  He was thrilled.

The Big Boy Update:  Children don't have filters like we do.  Last night my son asked, "Papa, why is that clock missing some numbers?"  Note that my son doesn't read or tell time at three, but he did notice missing numbers that I hadn't seen, even though I'd been looking at that clock for an entire week and reading the time without needing to see numbers to do so.



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wants to be in the pool all day long.  This morning after breakfast she told me I needed to put my swimming suit on so that I could get in the pool and that she wanted to get on her swim suit so she could get in to.  When that didn't get results, she went over to Aunt Kelly, who was reading a book pool-side and said to her, "Aunt Kelly, you can get your swimming suit on and get in the pool."  We gave in to her request and eventually all of us got in the pool in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment