Monday, July 1, 2013

What is Gramps Doing Here?

We went to visit my in-laws the other day.  Daddy had a parent-child golf tournament he was playing in with his mother and the children and I went up to see Grandpa (or Papa as my two seem to persist in calling him).  We had a very nice visit, which ended with a dinner on the newly renovated porch and veranda at the country club.

There were hot dogs and potato chips and my children ate happily at tables covered with white linens, not caring a bit that they were smearing ketchup all over the place.  After they lost interest in the meal portion of the celebration, we moved them to the dessert stage by making them each a fancy ice cream sundae with all sorts of sugary, drippy, candy toppings.

When my daughter was done eating, I was afraid she was going to be ejected from the country club for improper attire because she had made just that much of a mess on herself.

Tired out and sugared up we drove home and they fell asleep on the way.  That night much later, my husband realized something was amiss upstairs in the children's room.  My daughter, for the first time in her life, had thrown up.  It was everywhere on the bed and she was confused and she didn't understand why her pacifier tasted so terrible.

We don't know why she threw up, but after changing her bedding she had no problems going straight back to sleep.  I was tired too and apparently I went straight back to sleep as well.  Later that night I awoke to a darkened room to an odd sight.  My father was in our bedroom and he was doing something at the dresser across from the bed that has the changing table on it.  Why was my father in the bedroom at this hour and what did he need from the changing table?

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my daughter with her blonde hair looks a lot like my father with his white hair.  This was not my father I was seeing, it was my daughter, being held by my husband in his arms and her head of hair was more easily seen in the darkness than my husband's dark brown.  When I woke up enough to realize what was going on, my husband told me she had thrown up again and would I help him get her back to bed now that she was changed into fresh clothing.

As I carried her up the stairs I told her how she looked just like her Gramps in the dark.

The Big Boy Update:  Mall run.  Given the rainy day we looked for an indoor activity and decided on the mall.  It's relatively safe and the children can run around and around and around and burn all their energy while we slowly make our way to the other end of the mall for lunch.  We ended the trip with a race to the car that involved a lot of toddler running and much switching back but eventually ended in two asleep children as we drove into the driveway at home.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  As mentioned above, she threw up for the first time for an unknown reason.  She had a very low fever for part of the next day and was whiny as a result but seems perfectly fine today. 

Fitness Update:  Three miles in the rain with a friend who drove all the way from the next town over to run with us this morning.  It was a nice short run, which was good because we had all overworked ourselves this weekend with biking or running endeavors.

Someone Once Said:  Each individual lives her life in now independently of how others may measure that life in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment