Thursday, July 4, 2013

Seasonal Specific Longings

It's July Fourth today and we've just gotten in from a lovely pool party at our friend's house.  They always have great friends, good food and everyone seems to have a good time.  After having their pool installed, it's hard to go wrong.  My son and daughter had a tremendous time  splashing and trying to swim.  But this post isn't about that party (and how full I am from the food right now.)

It's about out of season longings.  And you're saying, "what are you talking about?"  Have you ever happened onto something Christmas-related in May and had a longing, just for a little bit, for that time of year?  My son has the book, How the Grinch Stole Stole Christmas and he doesn't care what time of year it is when you read it to him; but as adults, it brings about thoughts of a time of year that's out of sync with where you currently are.

I was looking at something on my iPad last week and I saw this roaring fire in a beautiful fireplace and it reminded me of the fires we used to enjoy when I was younger at my parent's best friend's mountain house.

They had wonderful fires and I would stand as close as I could, usually on the stone hearth itself, warming my legs and hands until I couldn't stand the heat any longer.  I would do this again and again and wish I could even sleep by the fire because it was so peaceful to watch the flames dancing and the wood crackling.

They still have that house and we've even been invited up to see the fireworks on Saturday from their porch.  It's a beautiful house in the summer, but it won't be the same without that roaring fire and the chilly weather outside.

The Big Boy Update:  "I rescue you."  Today at the pool, he wanted to rescue people.  He would do this by climbing onto their diving board, walking to the end, looking over and asking you to give him your hand.  He would then say, "come up, I rescue you" and be very happy when you obliged him.   We couldn't get him to jump off the diving board so we could rescue him, however.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Broken arm?  No, it's not broken, but I was worried there for a bit.  She was climbing out of the pool and stumbled on the top step.  Now, if you know my daughter, you know she stumbles on a regular basis.  She has the clumsy gene I have.  But she hurt herself.  She was crying and wouldn't stop and was holding her right arm, close to the wrist, very carefully.  This went on for some time.  Finally, I took her in and changed her out of her swim clothes and she seemed to forget about her arm.  She must have hit it hard and bruised it, but at least it isn't broken.

Fitness Update:  I wedged in some weight lifting at the fitness room before our fun pool party. 

Someone Once Said:  Every so often some idiot tries to abolish marriage. Such attempts work as well as repealing the laws of gravity, making pi equal to three point zero, or moving mountains by prayer. Marriage is not something thought up by priests and inflicted on mankind; marriage is as much a part of mankind’s evolutionary equipment as his eyes, and is as useful to the race as eyes are to an individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment