Monday, July 15, 2013

The Week in Weight

This is how my week in weight goes:
Monday morning is weigh-in.  Every Monday my husband and I enter into a spreadsheet our weight and we've been tracking it for almost a year-and-a-half now.  Initially, I was going for weight loss, but now it's to make sure I'm maintaining my target weight.  But that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to my weight during the remainder of the week, on the contrary.

This is how my week in weight goes:

Let's say it's Monday morning and if I think I might be on the high side, it's time to do something cardiovascular, like run, early.  That's sure to drop some water weight to make the numbers come in lower.  Granted, if I was putting on weight over time, this tactic would only work for so long and eventually I would have to sweat off a literal "bucket of water" to get to my target weight, but for small deltas it does the trick.

If I made it to, close to or not too much over my target weight then I can relax.  Hey, there's not another weigh-in for a full week so I can eat all I want today and maybe the next day too.  Only, I don't usually because I'm glad I'm on track and didn't lose all control over the past week.

On Tuesday and Wednesday and sometimes even Thursday though I don't really think about food that much other than being reasonable with what I eat and balancing it with the exercise I'm doing.  Tuesdays through Thursdays  are the fun days.

On Friday I check the scale and see if I'm in trouble for the upcoming Monday, because I need time to correct, if so.  Usually I'm a more sensible eater on Fridays and Saturdays.

Sunday is the worst day usually, because for some reason I'm always really hungry on Sundays.  I don't know why.  I struggle on Sundays to be mindful of what I'm eating and if I've just got to have that big meal, then better make it breakfast and tell yourself you've had your fill of great big plates full of food for the day and to prepare for small portions at lunch and dinner.

For the most part, I don't think this is too unhealthy an attitude.  For those of us who can't eat anything and everything we want all the time without putting on weight, you've got to watch what you eat in some fashion.  Being boring and never having that big, over-indulgent meal or food item ever isn't going to work for me.  But knowing I have an end point I am holding myself accountable for (the following Monday's weigh-in) keeps me on track.  Or at least so far it has. 

The Big Boy Update:  Tricycle successful.  He hasn't really gotten the tricycle before, mostly because he was too short.  Today he got it, although he wasn't able to really master getting up to speed and staying at speed so he did a lot of stopping and starting.  Oh, and he mostly forgot to steer he was so focused on the pedals.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She stole his food!  He tries to steal her food all the time.  That, and he puts things on her plate that he doesn't want.  Today he was still asleep and I watched her take food off his plate again and again that she liked (hotdogs) and act innocent when she thought I was looking.

Fitness Update:  We biked the children to camp this morning.  Eleven miles sounds like a long way, but the calorie burn is nothing like running.  Still, it was good weather, breezy and  a clement morning for a bike ride to school.

Someone Once Said:  One does not let children get married; they do get married, when and to whom they choose.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! she stole his food! It is starting. next thing you know she will be knocking him down and stealing his toys. In a good natured way of course...

    ReplyDelete