Friday, July 5, 2013

Coffee and the Repour

It's not common that I go to a restaurant and have coffee as my beverage.  What does happen a lot is I order a coffee to go or I make a coffee for myself at home.  In either of those two cases, the coffee is sweetened and creamed at the start, before you begin to drink.  As you drink your beverage, the level of sweetness and creaminess remains constant and the drink tastes the same level of deliciousness from start to finish. 

In a restaurant with a cup of coffee, this does not happen, and it confounds me.  From what I've seen, most people add either cream, sugar or both to their coffee.  For any given cup, you get the right balance of additives and then you're ready to drink and enjoy.  

But the waitperson commonly sweeps by and tops off your beverage, usually when you're not looking.  If this is to add to your water glass or your lemonade or your soda, this doesn't make much of a change.  But if it's your coffee (or your tea) then you've just had your balance imbalanced unexpectedly.  This can happen again and again and if your meal is like mine was this morning. 

I wasn't upset, if I was, I would have said something.  I was glad to have such an attentive lady helping us with our meal.  But with beverages that have additives, I'm surprised more wait people don't ask if the person would like to have more added.   To be sure, it happens some of the time, but not all of the time.

Still, my coffee was delicious, even if the balance of ingredients varied wildly over the meal.

The Big Boy Update:  "Garbagetrash"  is apparently what my son thinks all things both garbage and trash related are called.  That, or he's not sure and he's making sure to cover his bases.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Bahpur and fahfire.  She has names for things just like her brother.  "Bahpur" is a diaper and "fahfire" is a pacifier.  Similar, but different from his "bahpoo" and "fassire".

Someone Once Said:  The child whom we have robbed of his own will becomes difficult; we believe that by doing things for him we will do him some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment