Saturday, July 20, 2013

Blacking Out

Sit down in front of the television at someone else's house and you notice everything else surrounding the television initially.  Maybe it's on a stand or maybe it's in nice built-in cabinets.  The television may be large or it may be very small.  But once you start watching something on that television, everything else surrounding the moving pictures is completely ignored by your brain.

We were talking about children sleeping in the dark or in the light and how some people prefer a completely dark room while others, most notably children, are afraid of the dark.  At this point my children don't seem to have a preference either way.   That conversation got me thinking about being in the dark though.

While I was riding in the car in the very bright sun earlier today I closed my eyes and I was in the "dark."  If you're afraid of the dark when you close your own eyes, you've got your own set of special problems, I thought.  And then I noticed my blinking.  We do it often, very often, to keep our eyes lubricated.  And we don't notice it at all.  Every time you close your eyes, even briefly to blink, the world goes dark.  But just like breathing, our heartbeat or the areas surrounding the television screen, we scarcely notice it unless we make an effort to.

How marvelous our brains are.

The Big Boy Update:  Scared of the movie.  We put on Monster's, Inc. yesterday in the car.  As an adult, I had never paid attention to if it was appropriate for a toddler.  Of course, it must be because it's animated and targeted to children and it has fuzzy monsters in it.  But there are some points that are scary to a very small child.  After asking for it to be turned off several times, we changed to a younger-aged movie.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Kona Ice Fan.  She (and the rest of us) tried our first Kona Ice today as we went to see how the new truck and franchise mu brother and sister-in-law invested in recently.  She ate, and ate, and ate and I think she would have eaten more if it wasn't time for us to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment