Friday, July 12, 2013

The Strange Exchange

I bought something at the drug store today.  I try to be a good customer, and that means not using the option to return an item unless I really need to.  What I mean is I have a personal expectation that I will make a good decision when I buy the product and if it turns out it wasn't what I needed and I have to return or exchange the item, then I most likely could have been a more informed buyer so that I would have made the best decision the first time around.

And yet I do return things, and today was one of those days when I made a poor decision, got home, looked at the product I'd bought and went back within the hour to exchange it for the other option I should have gone with in the first place.  I don't like returning things; it's a much more involved process than purchasing something.  But it had to be done.

So I get to the drug store, grab the alternate product and go to the check out counter.  There is an older man there who says, "let's see how much this rings up for before we go any further."  After he scanned the product he said it was only a dollar difference and it wasn't worth it to do the complicated exchange.  I told him I would gladly pay a dollar, and tried to hand it to him.  He wouldn't take it and told me to not worry about it.

I left the store after thanking him, but I was confused.  This was a large chain drug store.  They have inventory tracking most likely done through the purchasing of products.  I was exchanging one product and brand for an entire other brand and product.  And a dollar difference?  If it had been a few cents, but I was surprised he didn't even want to pursue the price difference.

He wasn't the manager, I wonder what the other associate thought that was watching the whole event from the next register over?

The Big Boy Update:  My son woke up from a long nap yesterday and was time-confused.  When he came out of the bedroom he said to me, "I want to eat breakfast."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: The spoon flip.  She enjoys eating with a spoon, but she does so with her own special method.  She puts the spoon in her mouth sideways, with the food smashed against her tongue.  Then she turns the spoon upside down in her mouth and sucks the food off it.  I don't know how she does this so regularly without spilling much food.

Fitness Update:  Gym for upper body and then a half hour on the elliptical machine later.  High resistance on the elliptical machine is a hard cardiovascular workout.

Someone Once Said:  Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. (He is also a fool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment