Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vacation

I never was much for vacations.  I don't mean I don't like vacations, just that my family never did the saving up and planning all year for a big vacation week somewhere exciting.  We did take trips, but nothing that was eagerly awaited for, talked about, planned out for maximum fun factor and we certainly didn't seem to do those all out expensive trips that some families seem to need to save up for the remaining fifty-one weeks of the year.

I don't think I ever missed those weeks.  I had fun year round and I didn't feel like I was having to wait out my life in more boring or less exciting weeks of the year, just so we could experience that one super fun week.

But I have a vacation every year now.  I look forward to it for much of the year.  When my husband, then boyfriend, told me he went up to his brother and sister-in-law's house on the New Jersey shore every summer for a week and would I like to go with him that year, I wasn't sure it would be all that much fun.   But I said, "sure" and I went.

And I found out it wasn't Disneyland or Las Vegas, but it was something altogether better in it's own way.  It was like a relaxing week at the beach, but you're with family and you're having fun catching up and spending time with your niece and nephew and meeting their friends and going out on their jet skis or boat or the beach and having as much fun or relaxation as you want, whenever you want.

It's been like that ever since that first year I went.  Each year I look forward to going up and now my children do too.  Tomorrow we leave to head north for another year's vacation.  I can hardly wait for it to start.  Now I must get this post finished so I can go and get to the packing.

The Big Boy Update:  Ro-ha!  I have no idea what word my son is trying to say, but he's been saying "ro-ha" all day.  Let me know if you figure it out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tick.  This morning I found a tick on her shoulder.  It came off, but it gives you the shudders thinking about it.   She is fine, and you can't prevent everything from happening to children, but it still makes you feel a bit of a failure when something does happen.

Fitness Update:  Trampoline exercise class!  I went with two of  my neighbors to a fitness class in a facility where the entire floor is covered with trampolines.  Not only was the place impressive and the trampolines fun, the hour-long workout was a killer.  I told my husband and Uncle Jonathan they had to come with us next time.

Someone Once Said: It is better to copulate than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment