Saturday, June 1, 2013

Neighbors

We had no neighbors for so long I thought we might forever be the lone house on our street. Times have change economically though and we not only have neighbors, we have new friends.

In my last neighborhood, I didn't have children and I didn't know many people. Children change everything, or at least they have for us socially. Children move about, they like to go outside to play and generally cause people who might otherwise spend their time in front of a computer (that would be me), in a situation where they meet people.

Dogs can fulfill the same function, but as I always let my dog out to the fenced back yard, I never experienced this phenomenon.

But back to those kids, their powers of friendly neighbor introductions and the newly opened pool. And also how we just have a fantastic neighborhood. (I'm biased, I live here, but since you're wasting  your three minutes reading my blog, you'll just have to suffer through  my gushing.)

I like our neighborhood for so many reasons. The people aren't pretentious. They're friendly and helpful. They're social, very social. And something I find personally exciting, we have all sorts of ethnic and religious representation.

Diversity is a good thing. We have more than one mixed-race couple (with cute children to boot) and a variety of different nationalities represented as well. Everyone seems accepting of others and glad to be neighbors.

I hope this happy atmosphere and attitude continues as more neighbors move in. I like our little village so far.

The Big Boy Update:  He does seem to like his sister.   I've questioned it too many times when I've seen him be unkind (in my eyes) to his sister.  Although, usually he's just being as mature as his mental development at two-and-a-half years old has the experience to comprehend.  I've heard he will go over and see if she's okay if she's crying on the playground at school.  Today, he was separated from her for a while and when he saw her later, he came over and gave her an unexpected and unsolicited hug.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Spoontastic.  She loves spoons.  She is more interested in eating with a spoon than her brother is.  She likes the process so much that on the occasion food drops, which is both frequent and regular, she will pick the food up, place it into the spoon with her hand and then eat it with the spoon.

Fitness Update:  We were going to run longer today but it was hot.  We were losing pounds in sweat and we weren't in our summer running mode yet.  So our bodies rebelled, or at least mine did.  So seven-and-a-half miles and we called it a day.

Someone Once Said:  My religious faith is a private matter between me and my God. What my inner beliefs are you will have to judge by my actions…for you are not invited to question me about them. I decline to explain them nor to justify them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment