Monday, June 17, 2013

A Different Kind of Jiggle

I've noticed something recently.  I've been exercising vigorously and bits of me have been moving up and down.  And yes, the lady bits do bounce up and down, but those aren't the bits to which I'm referring.  Those bits are happily contained within a restrictive fitness bra.

These fitness bras are so comfortable and stylish and non-bra looking that I prefer to run with only the fitness bra top on in the summer because, hey, why sweat up a shirt when you already have too much laundry piling up. 

But back to the jiggly.  I noticed not long ago that when I'm doing something bouncy and aerobic that I still have that jiggle factor going on, but it's more of a, "wump wump" type of thing than a, "blub blub" kind of action.  Did I lose you?  It's the difference between fat and muscle.   Fat does this sort of jiggly flappedy thing when it moves around, while muscle does a solid thump sort of thing as it moves.

I am doing an absolutely terrible job of explaining this, so I am going to just quit.  Suffice it to say, It's interesting to see changes in your body.  It's strange to have muscles where, for as long as you can remember, there was a sort of amorphous body mass in those same places in the past.

It's cool. 

The Big Boy Update:  "I go potty.  I poop."  I was in the gym this morning and he was in the play room, locked in, and playing happily with toys.  After a few sets of exercises, I told daddy I thought he might have messed up his pants.  I looked in the window and he looked at me and talked.  I couldn't hear him, but I could read his lips well enough:  "I go potty.  I poop."  OH.  I see.  "Daddy, could you go get the go bag so I could change him?"   His underpants didn't make it home.  They weren't a pretty sight.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: Play Doh Fun.  I got some Play Doh and introduced it to her while her brother was sleeping.  She understood it immediately.  They must play with clay of some sort at school.  She had a nice time combining colors, stamping out shapes, cutting and pulling out the "fun factory" machine when it made spaghetti hair.

Fitness Update:  Gym and one very hot run.  Daddy and I took the children to the gym this morning and put them in the play room.  They loved the toys.   We liked the workout.  Then, at five o'clock, Uncle Jonathan pushed the stroller with our two children and my neighbor and I ran beside him, huffing and puffing in the hot weather and trying to run a fast three miles (at which we failed) while he calmly pushed a double stroller up the hills.   And to think we thought we were in shape...

Someone Once Said:  Dying is not to be feared – it is the final comfort. As we all learn eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment