Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's the Small Stuff That Counts With Friends

I had a friend call me yesterday and ask if she could stop by.  It was right about dinner time and she was worried she would be interrupting our meal, but she needed a "friend moment" as she called it.  

Something had upset her.  It wasn't trivial but it wasn't serious either.  It was just one of those things right then, at that moment, given the situation, was more than she was able to handle well.  And she needed to talk about it or complain or hide or just get away from everything for a few minutes and then she would be ready to go back and deal with her life like she always does.

I met her in the driveway with a margarita and we hugged and went inside and just sat and she explained exactly the situation that led up to her being so frustrated.  And I understood why she was feeling so upset;  I think I would have been just as upset and angry if the same thing had happened to me.

But was it major?  No.  It was just the crap of the day and that particular day the crap was too deep for her to wade in without someone to help with a life buoy.  That's what friends are for, right?  To be there not only for the major things in life, but for any kind of support, no matter how little, say like a conversation and a margarita, just when you need it.

The Big Boy Update:  My son, "I gotta go poop!"  Daddy, "then go quickly, run!"  My son runs off to the bathroom and says, "I made it."  Yes, he did make it.  He made it right into the bathroom and also in his pants.   But he knew it was coming and he tried to get there.  I count that as a victory.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The pretty little dress.  Friends of my mother bought a beautiful, diaphanous dress that must be at least forty years old as a gift for my daughter.  We've been trying to get a picture of her in it so that we can send it to my mother's friend and show her how beautiful it looks on.  But, it's so delicate we put it on my daughter and take it off right after the pictures have been snapped. This on and off clothes procedure confuses my child and she doesn't understand why we need her to sit and smile so our efforts have largely been unsuccessful.  But today, I think we got the shot.  I hope we did. 

Fitness Update:  13.1 miles today (that's a half marathon, right?) for our training towards the marathon in November.  We were targeting twelve miles but then we took the scenic route on more than one occasion and ended up running long.

Someone Once Said: When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.

No comments:

Post a Comment