Tuesday, June 11, 2013

One Bike For The Price of Two

I haven't had a bicycle in a long time.  I wrote last year about how I went on a bike ride over Easter on my in-laws bikes in Florida and how it was interesting to watch how my body remembered what to do to pedal a bicycle.  Later in the year, I decided I'd like to get my own bicycle for both exercise and family entertainment. 

After selecting a bicycle that fit my spinal fusion-based needs (more upright than most), I found out bicycles aren't cheap.  My husband assured me my selection was very reasonable in price and that bicycles only ramped in price from the starting point I was entering from.  So I got the bicycle and had it outfitted with a rack that would hold my basked or the second child seat my husband had ordered for my daughter.  Also, I got a bell.

I would ride the bike from time to time.  My mother-in-law told me a bicycle isn't something you need feel guilty about spending money on today, because it usually has a long lifespan to pay back that investment in enjoyment.

One day I told my husband I wanted to take my son or daughter out on the bicycle.  He went out and put the seat on the back and then the next thing I know, the bicycle is smashed into the back quarter panel of my car.  And no, my husband didn't make this happen.  I don't remember if it was my son grabbing at the seat or me trying to keep him from grabbing at the seat or some other situation, but the rear end was heavier and less-stable and the little bike rack just wasn't up to the job.

So wham, skerrretch...and DAMN.  It wasn't a large scratch, but there was an indention.  That indention has sat there since the end of last summer and it's been annoying me since it happened.  Next week I'm taking the car in to get it fixed.   Can you guess from the title of this post about how much the repairs will cost?

If you guessed, "about as much as the bicycle cost in the first place", you'd be right.

The Big Boy Update:  Breakfast impossible.  I lost my temper at him this morning.  He is in an untenable mood some mornings where he doesn't want anything and yet has to have everything.  I took all his food away as he tried to throw it at me.  He finally calmed down, began to eat the only thing left I hadn't offered him yet and then ate one of the largest breakfasts he's eaten in a while.  He did all of this while his sister quietly sat and ate her meal across the table from him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Knee scraper.  Just about the time the current scrapes heal on her knees, she incurs more damage to them via stumbles and falls.  Today she did it again. 

Fitness Update:  Last night I just had to do something since I had mostly eaten fudge all weekend so I went to the fitness room for thirty minutes.   This morning we were back at the gym in what's almost daylight with the extended daylight hours as we approach summer solstice.

Someone Once Said:  ‘Statues’ are dead politicians. This is ‘sculpture.’

No comments:

Post a Comment