Friday, June 28, 2013

It's Not The Same Phone (Or the Final Insult)

I killed my phone.  It slid from the counter top into the sink and that six inches caused the glass to crack down the front.  The phone's glass was shardy and sharp but it was still working.  Although, it definitely needed help.

That six inch fall wasn't the killing blow, it was the last little breeze that pushed the phone over the cliff to it's demise.  And that's because I've dropped it many times.  The first was back in October at Disney in Florida and the rest, after that, just sort of blend together in my mind.  I think there are several dents in our hardwoods that will attest to that.  My hands don't have all the feeling in them they used to and that combined with my general clumsiness and the phone was in for it.

The corners had taken some bruising and denting and one section of the glass had already snapped, but it was functioning and it may have continued to work for a good long time until the fall into the sink.  Once the glass was completely compromised, it was a danger to itself and to anyone brave enough to hold it and attempt to run your finger over it, thus facing possible glass splinters or slicing.

I went downstairs, plugged it in and did a complete backup.  While this was happening, I made an appointment with the Genius Bar and then headed off to get it "fixed".  I knew the glass could be replaced, but there was that top button that insisted on only working part of the time and the dented corners that may have made glass replacement an unsuccessful endeavor; but I had Apple Care Plus, so I knew it would get addressed in some fashion.

At the store the, "Genius Guy" decided that yes, I had beat the phone up sufficiently enough that a new phone was merited.  He was fast.  He got the new phone, I selected the "Delete Absolutely Everything" followed by the "Yes, I'm Serious" confirmation and the old phone was blanked out.

He swapped SIM cards and I left the store, calling my husband to say I'd be back in time to get the children.  I got home, plugged in the new phone and confirmed that I wanted to restore it from the backup I'd made earlier.

It's a new phone.  It's a completely new phone.  But my mind can't accept it because it looks exactly like the old phone in all the ways I interact with it.  All the apps and settings are the same because that restore made the new phone a complete copy of the old phone.

I wrote a blog post a while back about how long something new stays "new" to you.  This brand new phone became instantly "old" because it seemed and behaved exactly like my old phone.  I've even looked at it and said to myself, "Look at this shiny new phone.  Now, respect this one, please."  Even so, it seems worn in and comfortable in my pocket.

The Big Boy Update:  "I'm going to work on the road.  For the cars."  My son told me this as we drove out of the driveway this morning.  It appears he has decided on his first career choice.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Darn those bows.  We've had a backtracking in the whole bow situation.  She likes to take them out...violently.  And that means she pulls hair with the bow or elastic band or whatever hair protection device.  So for now, I spend time training her hair to move out of her eyes to the side.  That seems to keep most of her hair on her head at least.

Fitness Update:  I'm going to go swimming after I finish this post.  I just gave blood and I'm not sure how well I'll swim.  One person suggested that I don't exercise vigorously, while the other person said to do whatever my body was accustomed to doing.  I suppose I'll see how it goes.  Worse case, I'll sit out by the pool and enjoy the sun.

Someone Once Said:  Growth comes from activity, not from intellectual understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment