Friday, June 14, 2013

The People Make the Business

I've been doing some investigation into the Directors and Officers insurance for our children's school as one of the tasks of a committee I'm chairing.  In that investigation, I've discovered things about our personal insurance coverage that have caused my husband and me to question our personal insurance policies.

We decided to have someone local quote us comparable coverage as our current company was out of state.  I've learned that our state has complicated insurance rules and have been impressed at what we've been able to learn by working with skilled agents at a local company.

What I also learned, or rather re-learned, is that the people make the business.  The company I went back to provided us our builders insurance for our house construction.  At that time it didn't make sense for us to move other policies to them, but I remembered the proficiency, courtesy and positiveness of every person I spoke with.

When we had questions, I went back to them and again, I'm impressed with their service.  But I'm more impressed with their people.  I even had a request for some advice on the Directors and Officers insurance that started us down the whole path towards them.  I was told they'd be glad to look over the policy to see if there were any concerns or oversights or even suggestions for more robust coverage.

What I didn't expect was that the owner of the company, who was the most experienced in that area, would review the policy, write me a detailed email with helpful suggestions and do so all within a single business day.

Service is important.  Quality counts.  Price can make or break a decision.  But the people can ultimately be the thing that makes a difference.

The Big Boy Update:  "Finished."  We know he's saying the word, "finished" but it comes out, "shey shey".  I asked him if he could say the word, "finished" and it turns out he can.  But apparently, "finished" does not mean finished, only "shey shey" does.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "All Done."  When she's completed something, particularly eating, she says, "all done."  This is what her class says.  She initially would tell you, "NO!" when she didn't want something more or that particular thing again.  Now she is more confident in her ability to communicate and your ability to understand her saying, "all done."

Fitness Update:  Gym.  Nothing special, tiring as normal.  We had to carry a large twenty pound medicine ball for far to long and up and down too many stairs.  Then, we had to do pushups.  Oh, and then do the whole thing from scratch again.

Someone Once Said: They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment