Thursday, January 3, 2013

You Mean She's Nice Too?

Have you ever met one half of a couple, say the wife, and were taken by what a sweet, kind, charming, nice, gentle, etc., person she was and, from experience, knew that the other half of the couple was somewhat of an opposite?  That's not to say that the partner or husband is a jerk, hostile, mean, cruel, etc., but that they're just not the same level of sweetness and light that their partner is.  It's common to marry someone who is your compliment, not a mirror image of your personality, so it makes sense.

There needs to be someone in a relationship who can be firm where needed; someone who can be gentle and supportive, even in the face of adversity; someone to do the paperwork and pay the bills and someone who likes to make the house beautiful with decorations and special touches.  These things aren't always found all in one person, heck I know I detest mail, and I adore my husband for his diligence in tending to all of ours.  I hope I have some salient points of value to him as a wife; he's still here, so I guess I'm doing okay.

Back to the title of this post though...I have been working with someone in our parent teacher organization who is a very soft-spoken man with clearly a deep love and affection for his little boy who is in my son's class.  I hadn't met his wife before but was delighted that both he and she came to our son's birthday party last month.  I was so struck by what an immediately friendly person she was.  How she was just as (dare I say "sweet?") nice a person he was too.

I felt badly for thinking that this great dad I'd known would have anything other than a great wife, but it did break my mental image of his partner compliment.  At any rate, I'm glad to know both of them and I hope our children can get together more often because I had fun talking to them both while our children played.

The Big Boy Update:  Boo boo duck.  There is a duck with a little ice pack in his belly that stays in the freezer for baby bumps and injuries.  We call it the, "boo boo duck" and my son knows what it's for now.  When he has a boo boo, he will hold up or point to the area that, "hurt hurt" as he says it and then he will ask for the boo boo duck.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Less of a napper.  She walks; she talks; she gets around.  But for some reason, she needs less sleep during the day than her brother does.  She can get by with two short naps, or even just one nap while he needs at least one long nap. 

Fitness Update:  Three-and-a-half miles today, but a lot of it was walking due to some inflammation in my knee.  Yesterday on a nine-mile run I had zero pain but I'd taken two Advil.  From evaluating the situation, my neighbor who is also a physician, thinks it sounds inflammatory versus injury-based.  As I've not had any issues running otherwise, I'm inclined to believe in her cursory diagnosis.

Someone Once Said:  As courage is bravery in the face of fear, virtue is right conduct in the face of temptation. If there is no temptation, there can be no virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment