Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Well-Sick Transition and Reaction

My son is sick.  What a pathetic little guy, lying there on the couch sweating and not moving much.  I feel terrible for him.  Lavishing of affection and kind, soft words ensues.  He's not feeling well, I want to do what I can to help him through this tough time, what parent wouldn't?

Let's say it's been an hour and the ibuprofen has started to work, his fever is down and he's much peppier.  He doesn't look as sick.  Suddenly, it's very easy to treat him as though he were perfectly well.  For instance, I look around the corner to see him with his sister right after he's pushed her over, intentionally.   I holler, "no shoving your sister!" 

At this young age it seems they can bounce from sick to feeling well multiple times each day.  As an adult, when I'm sick, I'm sick. 

The Big Boy Update:  Eating Mickey Mouse.  He gets his nouns confused sometimes.  On more than one occasion he has replied, "Mickey.  Mickey Mouse!" when we've asked him what he wants to eat for lunch.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Little Miss Moan.  Her brother does this when he's feeling poorly, and apparently she does too.  She hasn't been at school for two days due to a fever and general cold symptoms.  She hasn't had a fever in close to a day now, but she must still feel crummy because she walks around the house just wail/moaning.

Someone Once Said:  I’m suspicious of a disinterested interest.

1 comment:

  1. Your poor whole family. I have never been so happy to live 3,000 miles away! The whole East Coast seems to be one big germ factory. I am afraid to see all of you in a few weeks. I might wear a face mask. Just kidding. I sure hope you all feel better by then. Although by then, it may have made it's way out west...

    ReplyDelete