Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's Like Being Pregnant Again...

...but without a baby.  This cold/flu/flold won't give up.  I have very little energy.  I think fondly about having a nap in the middle of the day.  I count the hours until the children will be in bed so I know how long it will be until I can go to sleep.  And then there's the number one similarity between being pregnant and having this cold, not wanting to climb stairs.

Pregnant, I had an excuse to avoid stairs, reduced lung capacity and rapid weight-gain.  But now, my lungs are just fine.  I haven't gained any weight, and I've been getting lots of sleep.  The two days my children were back to school this year I managed to work in a morning nap.  And I've been going to sleep between eight and ten every night.

And yet the lethargy persists.  I can overcome it by going out to run.  Once I get started on a run, my body seems to accept the plan and I can run without too much additional bodily gripes.  I suppose I'm a bit more thirsty because the constant drainage makes me feel dehydrated.  In the cold air my sinuses go into overdrive, producing additional, excessive amounts of drainage and I make frequent, unattractive naisley noises I'm sure my running mates enjoy hearing.

Historically, after a run I feel energized.  I've been known to bounce around the house and be more than your average level of peppy.  But not of late.  Once my heart rate returns to normal and I've showered, I drop back into my, "I really don't want to have to chase the baby up the stairs again," self.

My husband, who contracted this holiday funk earlier than I did, seems to still be suffering too.  So how much longer do I have until I feel like my normal, energetic self?  The children have runny noses still, but alas, they don't seem to be moving any slower than they usually do.  If they were moving at the same reduced-speed I am, I'd feel like I had a chance of keeping up with them.  But no such luck. 

And the ears.  What a bother.  My Eustachian tubes are still partially blocked.  Flushing my sinuses hasn't helped and although they're becoming less blocked over time, it's going by like microwave time, or in other words, depressingly slowly.

The Big Boy Update:  We gave up on potty training for a good portion of the holidays because neither my husband nor I had the energy.  We're back on it full-time as of today.  It's training pants and pull-ups and hopefully a breakthrough soon.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Fluffy pink and white jacket.  She has this fluffy jacket we send her to school in frequently.  She loves this jacket.  If she sees it she goes over to it, grabs it and fairly hugs it.  She will lie down with it and hold on tightly with a huge grin on her face.  She doesn't care much about shoes, that's her brother's obsession, but she likes her outerwear.

Someone Once Said:  Because two things equal to the same thing are never equal to each other. Basic mathematics if you select the proper sheaf of postulates.

No comments:

Post a Comment