Monday, January 7, 2013

Archetypal Friends

Have you ever met someone and after getting to know them realize that they're so similar to another friend that you could easily describe them by saying, "My new friend Colette is a Kelly," and your other friend would know just what you mean?

Sometimes it's an appearance thing.  I know one gentleman who just from the shape of his mouth and the way he talks, combined with his hair color and style, I would class as a, "Classic Richard."   And this would be because I grew up with a close friend named Richard and every time I see this other person, I spend part of the time just smiling, because he so reminds me of my friend Richard.

It can be personality-based.  I have a friend who is very enthusiastic about her work.  She loves her work and likes to talk about how things are going at work.  She takes a lot of pride in her job.  And this can be uncommon, because many people like to do nothing better than moan about their jobs.  I have a second friend that has a very similar attitude, but about her hobby instead.  I didn't make the connection immediately, but once I did, the similarities are striking; two different focuses, but the same excitement and pride in their own areas of interest.

I've known two people who are nothing alike personality-wise, but have similar body shapes.  Sometimes it's how people dress.  It could be attitudes about the environment and conservation or it just might be that mom that's going for the mom of the century with a splash of over-zealousness and a smattering of over-protectiveness that I thought was unique.  That is until I met another mom just like her.

We are all unique.  But our brains are so skilled at interpreting similarities that we make these "like" connections all the time.  Sounds like a good PHD research project.

The Big Boy Update:  Toddler Dreams.  Okay, this is funny.  My son is a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse enthusiast.  He knows the character's names and he'll call out various things from the show while it's playing.  He was asleep and crying last night and my husband went to check on him.  He was making a moaning sound and then, very distinctly, my husband heard him say two times, "Toodles, Toodles."  He put a blanket on him and he settled back down.  What kind of dreams was he having that he needed Toodles to come to the rescue with a Mousecatool?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Cracker"  I swear, she said cracker, in the correct context yesterday.  She was asking for another cracker.  Then my father heard her say "soup" as he was feeding her some.  I know, I know, hopeful parents will hear anything to believe their children are amazingly smart, but I was born a skeptic.  The only thing that keeps me guessing is she won't repeat the word when you ask her to.  She will get around to it when she feels like it apparently.

Someone Once Said:   There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment