Monday, January 14, 2013

Forging Through Left and Right

I know which way up is without thinking.  Which way is up?  Well, it's that way, everyone knows that.  And if I'm going forwards or backwards because that's just so totally obvious.   And I know I'm going left or turning left, or saying the scary clown is to the left because it's clearly left...or wait...I meant right.  Definitely to the right.

See my problem?  It's not uncommon for a person to have left/right directionality issues.  It used to bother me, but then I realized it wasn't that I don't know my left and right apart, I just have to think about it first.  And that's what other people don't seem to have to do; they just know left and right intrinsically apart like I do with up and down. 

I started a test several years ago and the results aren't yet in.  I'm a slow learner, you see.  Well, obviously I am or I'd know about left and right by now.  So, instead of stopping and thinking about which direction I mean, I just say which direction comes to my head.  And I know what you're thinking, "But that's just guessing."   It's not really though.  I'm telling my brain that I trust it knows which direction is correct and will supply me with the answer.

Sometimes I do get it right (as in correct) and sometimes I get it wrong, but I think I get it right far more than fifty percent of the time.  My husband likes to tell me when I've gotten a direction wrong.  "Oh, okay, yeah, I meant left." I'll say that because at least we figured out it was left before we missed out turn.

The Big Boy Update:  Cereals.  He eats cereal fairly regularly for breakfast.  He likes many different kinds.  He also likes to talk about them in plural form.  He sees when a cereal bin comes out and says, "cereals".  He is still hungry and says, "More cereals."  And he has plastic and cardboard cereal containers in his toddler kitchen he'll hold up and explain to you, "cereals".

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  More.  She babbles at you and at things and has some understandable words now.  Each new word is fun, because we didn't know she knew it until, bam, she's used it in context.  Yesterday after we thought she was finished she looked at me while I was holding the bowl and said, "more."  And she said cracker again. That's a hard word, I don't think I could say cracker until I was eight.

Someone Once Said:  So I brought to bear the sturdy common sense of ignorance and prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment