Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Mimi Confusion
Or Mom gets a new name

I've called my mother "mom" for most of my life.  I remember calling her "mommy" when I was very young.  I have a distinct memory of being in the hall one day and telling her that I was going to start calling her "mom" because mommy was a name babies called their mother.  Strange that I would remember right where I was when I told her that.  I know it was a sunny day at the time too.  How amazing our memory can be in some respects and how unreliable it can be in others.

Now, my mother has gained a new name.  She decided she wanted to be called "Mimi" by the children.  My son is old enough now to know who Mimi is.  He loves his Mimi.  I can't figure out sometimes who she is.  When I'm talking to my husband is it "mom" or "Mimi?"  It's not uncommon for me to use both names within one discussion.  I have a strong feeling that as the children get older, Mimi as a name will eclipse Mom.  She's a great grandmother.  I fear my son prefers her over me.  But isn't that the way it's suppose to be?

The Big Boy Update:  There must be something in us that makes us want to be social with our peers.  What is it that tells a baby there are other babies around.  They know.  They stare.  They're fascinated.  At a play place earlier this week he saw bigger kids running around and playing.  He wanted to be involved but he was too young.  It didn't stop him from waving his arms in glee and chasing them as they ran around and had fun. 


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Her head is totally differently shaped than my son's.  He had/has a round and wide head.  He slept on the back of his head and it made a flat spot until he could roll over.  She has a dainty, nicely-shaped head.  It's not flat at all on the back because she sleeps looking left and right and now it's nigh impossible for her to sleep without turning her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment