Friday, January 20, 2012

I Tink I Hab A Cold

I don't get sick often.  In general, I'min quite good health; my spine being the exception.  While people around me get one or more colds each winter, I seem to be able to fight it off with maybe a little bit of a runny nose or sore throat.  I've never had a flu shot.  I know some people who can't imagine going through a winter without getting them, but so far, I've been lucky.  I remember the last time I got the flu.  It was over ten years ago.   It wasn't fun. 

Alas, I am not so lucky this year.  We've had several runny noses in the house and family members who are sick.  At some point I must have gotten more of a dose from my son or someone as my throat is very sore and I have the aches and pains that go along with a low-grade fever.  I forgot how much I dislike the taste of NyQuil. 

So far, I've gotten a little more rest, thanks to my mother and husband helping with the children more yesterday.  Today doesn't seem as bad, so hopefully this won't be a full seven days of yuck.  Fortunately, my daughter hasn't shown signs of the same thing, even though I'm nursing her.  I did some reading online as I wasn't sure if I should nurse or not sick.  The advice I got was that I shouldn't stop nursing as it's the best way to transfer antibodies directly to her.  I was also worried about the cold medicine transferring.  It seems that some does convey, but not as much as you might expect and it is generally considered safe.  I'm not hitting up the cold medicine too hard just in case though.

The Big Boy Update:  While having his clothes changed today, I noticed his stomach has gone from distended and pudgy from eating lots of milk to thin and muscular.  He's growing up.  Literally.  He's got a nice shape to him.  Although, he's still a bulky child.  When you play with him you don't feel like you're going to break him easily because he's so hefty feeling.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Last night she woke up two hours before the scheduled time for the night meal.  Each night we're moving it out a little later and giving her a little less food so that she'll sleep through the night in a few weeks.   After a bit of work, we were able to get her back to sleep without feeding her.  This was a first in the middle of the night, so we were happy she could go back to sleep without eating.  She wasn't acting that hungry, she was just awake.  This is good news for future nights.  It's just no fun standing or leaning over her waiting for the pacifier to fall so you can reinsert it and help her get back to sleep.  Progress is being made though.



No comments:

Post a Comment