Tuesday, January 3, 2012


Happy Knees

There was that Happy Feet movie, although I haven’t seen it.  Something about penguins dancing.  With children in the house though, I’m certain I’ll have see it many times eventually.  But I digress.   Can you digress when you haven’t even gotten to the point yet?  Do I pregress?  I think I do that a lot.  

Moving on to the knees.  I’ve not done much thinking about my knees or even given them the proper appreciation they deserve.  Pregnant this time, weighing more than I ever have, I would bend down and my knees would seem to be saying, “I don’t think you want to be down here for long.  This is over our load limit.”  They weren’t happy.  

I was really hoping it was the extra weight, but I was also concerned.  I have some strange extra cartridge in my knees that cause them to lock if I get in the wrong position.  At my age I should really know the name of this condition, but I’ve been diligent in avoiding the position all my adult life, so I haven’t needed to worry about it.  However, over the past two years they’ve locked several times.  It’s quite annoying.  More to the point, it’s almost very painful.  I can’t move in any direction without being in frightful pain, but I have to do something to get it to unlock.  Sometimes it just gives way slowly and releases, other times I can move it just right and it’ll make a pop that sounds sickening.  The pop scares me, what if the pop turns into a rip one day?   So I’m careful.

But now I have happy knees.  They’re thrilled I’ve lost weight and my center of gravity is back to normal.  Hopefully as I continue to lose weight I’ll stay on their good side.

The Big Boy Update:  Shoes are a tough fit for him.  His feet are so thick, he doesn’t fit into the shoes for his age range.  But his feet aren’t long enough for the next size up.   He’s old enough now and walking well enough that he needs to be able to comfortably wear shoes when we go out.  We found another pair today that we’re trying.  Hopefully he’ll get the hang of shoes soon.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Nine-One-Five-Nine-One-Five.  That’s what we’re working on for the remainder of this week.  If we can get her into a four house cycle starting at nine-o-clock that’s regular, I believe we’ll do well through the baby boot camp nighttime meal reduction weeks.  She’s still not the fastest eater in the house, sometimes taking an hour of the four hour blocks to get through the meal, but she’s making progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment