Sunday, October 25, 2020

Thunder Clan

My daughter has been obsessed with a series of book series for months now.   I found a book about cats on Audible and their adventures as clan Thunder Cats.   Then, after she devoured the first book, I found out it was a series of five or six books.   Then—and this part I tried to hide—I found out there were a whole slew of series after the first batch, all about Thunder Clan and their adventures.   

I tried to hide this from my daughter because I wanted her to select other things to listen to, to broaden, and vary the type of books she was consuming.   Alexa was my downfall here because she gladly told my daughter about the next books available. 

My daughter is playing imaginary games about the Thunder Clan cats and is trying to type some of the information up on her braillewriter.   What she wants to type up (and what she was doing prior to breaking her arm) is names of initiates to the clan.   They are all names like Strongwing, Braveheart, Bravewillow, etc.   She is having difficulty doing this because it hurts to use her broken arm fingers.

Typing on a braillewriter isn't like typing on a standard keyboard where you can use one hand and just type more slowly.   To type a braille cell you need to press down one to six keys at the same time.   There are only six keys and those keys each represent one of the six dots in a braille cell.   The six keys are separated by a space key with three left-hand keys on the left and three right-hand keys on right.   

Even an adult's hand would be hard-pressed to use a braillewriter with one hand because even if you managed to get your hand positioned over the right keys, you have to strike down with enough force to press the dots into the cardstock paper.   There is even one word that uses all six dots and not many people have six fingers.   That word is 'for' and that's a heavily used word.  

There is a very specialized braillewriter for people who can only type with one hand should a permanent need arise.   I really hope a permanent need does not arise.   

My daughter did manage to type a few things up over the weekend, enumerating all the names of the kits and initiates she was thinking of for her game of Thunder Clan.   She had me read them out to her tonight in preparation for the initiation ceremony game she wants to have tomorrow where the initiates she's come up with become full members of Thunder Clan.  

If we didn't have multiple people allergic to cats in this family, I would bet my daughter would be lobbying for a cat to join our family. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son got up from his computer this afternoon and told us his 'cult" key was missing.   We had no idea what he was talking about until he showed us.    He said a key had popped off and had fallen on the floor.   When we looked to where he was pointing my husband said, "ah, that's the 'control' key."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was having a bath tonight and keeping her arm out of the water while I washed her hair.   She said, "I just can't get my head around that I actually have a broken arm."  She gets the splint off tomorrow and the cast on.   Her brother had the most difficult time with itching involving unwrapping and rewrapping the bandages.   My daughter hasn't had a single issue with her bandages.   I think her arm has been hurting her more than her brother's though.   She's still quite careful with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment