Monday, October 19, 2020

In Need of Width

I had a much longer blog post planned in my head for today but it is now 1136 p.m. and I've run out of time in the day so I'll go with this much shorter one instead.   

I have five desktops.  Macs have an easy way to create virtual desktops.  You can put whatever windows you want on one desktop and then, with the swipe of four fingers, move left or right to the next desktop. I am not one of those people who relishes in having as many windows open as possible; on the contrary, I like to keep things to a minimum.   I am working in several different areas and need more than one window open for each of these tasks. 

This was something that was becoming tedious even before the 3D printing started, but now I need two additional desktops to manage the printing and the creating side of all of the 3D action.  Or, in my case, the slow and laborious plodding away at trying to create something.  But that's neither here nor there.   The thing is, I need more dimensional screen space. 

Five desktops is nice, but when I spend upwards of a quarter of my time paging back and forth, it gets frustrating.  My husband has two large monitors and I've been looking at his screen real estate with envy recently.   Prices of monitors continue to drop even as monitor sizes get larger. 

So I bought a monitor.   Which was minorly back-ordered for a week.   Then the backorder got extended.   It'll arrive by the end of the month, which will be good because the more I know that monitor is coming, the more paging back and forth makes me want to grumble. 

The nice thing about the new monitor is it's wider, not bigger.   It'll be like having multiple desktops all at a glance.   And it's going to be, grrr, I want to say 'awesome' but that's a superlative I try not to use because it's so overused.   It's going to be something better than great but less than awesome.   Somewhere in there.

Only a few years ago I was thrilled about having multiple desktops I could easily page through.  Now, it seems like old tech.  Although...with the new monitor I'll still have multiple desktops, they'll just be super-wide desktops.   I may have to open some extra windows just to fill up the space.

The Big Boy Update:  My son fell off the playset today and came in, asking Alexa to call me, saying "help!"   He was in the chair in the basement and crying like he hasn't in years.   He got the breath knocked out of him and he was dizzy for a minute.   I asked if he wanted to go to the chiropractor and he said yes.  Chiropractors are great at assessing situations like this.   They won't treat you if there's a chance you have a broken bone, but they can reposition bones that have been knocked out of alignment from a fall.   My son had several ribs subluxated right where he landed.  He was in a lot of distress before we arrived, a scant half-hour after he fell.   An hour later with some ice on the ribs and his neck and he is much better.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's first day back in school was today.  Not back in school, but back in virtual school.   Two weeks from now she will have four days in school with heavy protocols in place.   With the rising numbers, I'm not sure how things will go, but my son's school has been doing well so far.  We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment