Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Misunderstood

There are very few things Alexa can’t understand.  Initially, when the Amazon Echo technology was new and my husband had an early release model, she couldn’t understand my small daughter at all and my son only some of the time.   Now, she seems to be able to understand the most garbled of words in a room with other people talking even when the person saying the command immediately continues talking to someone else after giving the command.  I mean seriously folks, it’s impressive. 

I found out there is a word she doesn’t understand though.   My daughter told me she wanted another audiobook and I asked if she’d finished The Dragon Squisher yet.  She said she hadn’t, because she couldn’t get it to play.  

Being the know-it-all parent I thought she was doing something wrong but five minutes later after saying the word, “Squisher” in the most clear and overly enunciated of ways, I gave in and went an alternate route.   The only way we could get her to pick up and play the book was to have her display a list of Audible books on the Echo Show.   We could then pick the book (it was second in the list) and playback would begin.  

My daughter can do all of that except selecting the book in the list—or even knowing if the book is listed in the list.   Once I had that done, that particular book was the active book and my daughter could stop and start it without trouble.   

She was up in her bed past bedtime listening tonight.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son has his Mystery History presentation tomorrow.   We will be watching remotely from home.   He did zero practicing this year because they did all the work at school.   He is Chris Archer, a professional baseball player.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While my husband was preparing dinner my daughter was listening to, and giggling at, “The Dragon Squisher.”  We usually get on the children for shushing us when we have to talk and they’re listening to a book but tonight I was the one shushing my husband—he was talking right over some important and yet funny parts of the story 

No comments:

Post a Comment