Thursday, October 22, 2020

Squished Dragons

I finished listening to, "The Dragon Squisher," the book I wrote about a while back that was an Audible original production.  I liked the way they addressed how one of the main characters was gay.  The two main characters became best friends and it didn't matter at all that one of them, "liked boys 'romantically'" to the other character.   

At the end of the book, after the dragons had been squished, the land had been saved and peace ruled again, Nate, who had been given the power to transport people anywhere via a magical amulet, asked Lance if he wanted him to take him home to his parents.   He figured now that Lance was a hero, surely his parents would be accepting of their son.  

Lance, with a sad shake of his head, said it wasn't that simple.   Nate didn't understand, but he believed his friend and, knowing nothing else he could do to help, hugged his friend.  Lance, surprised by his friend's caring, had a tear in the corner of his eye and said to Nate he didn't know he was a hugger.   

And that was it.   It covered the situation in a way I think a young child could understand, I hope.   The two ended the book as staunch best friends.   My children wanted to know if there were more books in the series and, after checking just now, I note the book is listed as the first in the series—only there aren't any additional books out yet.   I loved the book.  I'm listening to the sequel myself when it comes out. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been working with shop tools in the back yard, driveway, and a bit in the garage with his friends over the past few days.   He just came downstairs and proudly "introduced me to" Killarang.   This deadly piece of handiwork is a boomerang-shaped piece of pressed plywood he clearly spent some time hacking away at until it was just right.   He showed me the motion he would use to either throw it or use it to attack directly.  He was not specific on this point other than making sure I knew the sound he would make when this happened, that being a tick-tick-tick sound.   Then, he told me, "Now I feel safe at night."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been completely nonplussed by her broken arm as well as the splint, which is wrapped up with sturdy ACE bandage-type wrappings.   I covered her arm with a white stocking-like material so that when it got dirty with food or other things I could either wash it or replace it.   She has been more diligent at keeping her arm clean than she normally is and has been not bothered at all, it would seem, by having a lot less use of her arm and hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment