Sunday, October 18, 2020

Just A Nice Day

It's that time of year again.   It's something I look forward to every year.   It always seems to happen at the same time and this year is no exception, except that it is an exception.   I love the change in weather which seems to coincide with the annual State Fair that's only a few miles down the road from where we live. 

This week the weather has grown colder during the nights but warms up during the bright, sunny days.  This week we would be making unhealthy food choices and riding rides that test our ability to endure higher g-forces.   Only we aren't.   Because the fair didn't happen this year. 

And as sad as I am about that, as I look outside and see my children swinging and laughing, I don't mind that much.   

The mosquitos have ceased to be a nuisance letting us keep doors and windows open during the day.   At night, for the first time last night, the heat came on in the master.   I hadn't realized how cold it was until I realized the room was warming up, not cooling down.   My fingers stopped feeling chilled and I fell to sleep in comfort.  

Today I put on fuzzy socks because the floors were cold, and now, mid-afternoon, I'm wishing I was in shorts.   It's just that kind of weather.   Every fall I remember how much I like the beginning of fall as the leaves start to change and the weather becomes crisp cool.

It's a good time of year, even if the fair didn't happen. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was given an hour of screen time after lunch before he had to go back to work on his Mystery History project.   I just gave him a ten-minute warning and he wailed, saying, "that's not how time works!"  He was upset because it didn't seem like he'd been on the computer that long.   I told him the saying, "time flies when you're having fun" was true.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked if she could turn off the lights the other day.  My husband replied, "well, I'm eating and I would have trouble seeing my food."  She asked back, "why do you need to see your food?"  He said, "I suppose you're right, I can do it without seeing—you eat just fine without seeing your food.  Why do you want to turn off the lights, though?"  She told him, "It's easier to see the Echo Dot lights when there isn't much light and I want to play a game with them."   We've heard from her a lot recently that she can see more when things are dim.   These are bright, large buttons so I'm not surprised she can see them.   I wonder how well or if she can tell the colors apart, though?

No comments:

Post a Comment