Friday, October 2, 2020

Dinner is Served

Some nights I get a lot of sleep and other nights I don't.  It's part that I am in the basement working on 3D printing things and part that I don't fall asleep or wake up in the middle of the night and don't fall back to sleep.   It's not a bad thing, as long as I can get caught up on sleep at some point.  

Today, I worked on a collection of things today, strangely at this point it's a list I can't easily enumerate because it is not possible to sit at the computer and get uninterrupted work done here.   I get fragments of work done, eventually making progress.   My daughter suggested I, "quit my job."   

I told her it wasn't the kind of thing you could just quit.   Scheduling conferences for the children because it's that time in the school year for progress reports.   Responding to the email about it, signing up on SignupGenius.com, adding an entry to both my husband and my calendar for the conference, making sure the conference link is in the calendar entries and texting my husband to let him know I'd signed up for the conference so he could ignore the email from the teacher.   That, I told my daughter, was the kind of thing I was doing and it wasn't something I could just quit as a job. 

My daughter doesn't understand what we do as adults so I tried to give her an example of something she had a reference for—her teacher conference.   She has a lot less understanding of all the other things we do as parents.   She just knows I'm in the basement and thinks anytime is a good time to come talk to me about anything.   

I took a break after school was out and went to have a nap before dinner.  I fell asleep almost immediately and woke up when my daughter came into the room to tell me dinner was ready.    What were we having? She wasn't sure other than a roast chicken and that Blake had made dinner for us all. 

Blake is an aspiring chef and has been cooking since he got here.   I'm very impressed with not only what he cooks, but the ease with which he cooks and prepares all manner of things.   His knowledge about cooking is extensive, especially since he's not yet twenty-one years old.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had an ice cream social with his class tonight.   It was over a Google Meet. I listened to him talking to his friends and eating an ice cream sundae I made for him while he got on the call.   He has some good friends in his class. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came down the stairs today to the basement where I was working, crying her scared and injured cry.   I met her half-way up the stairs and she immediately jumped into my arms.   She's getting too big to pick up, but she was hurt, having walking straight into the basketball goal pole, squarely hitting her forehead.   Blake had gone to get her an ice pack and three minutes later she was fine.   Walking around has to be scary to her, or maybe it's not, but running into something hard is.

No comments:

Post a Comment