Tuesday, October 6, 2020

In Violation

I was going through my email today—I know, right, hard to believe I'm catching up on email?   I've been delinquent for so long the emails have gotten out of hand.   I like to have an empty inbox and all of my emails are overflowing.   What happens is I'm on top of things until I'm not and when that happens I go into task avoidance mode and things only get worse.   

My mother taught me to be honest with myself and as such, saying the words, "I didn't have time to..." doesn't actually mean I didn't have time if I'm honest with myself.   What it means is other things had a higher priority than the thing I "didn't have time for" which is why I'm behind on email.    Some of the things I had to do were important, like sleeping, eating, and taking care of my children.   Otherwise know as I was 3D printing and all the entrapments associated with my new hobby, or obsession as my children like to call it. 

Today was the day to get caught back up.   I could do it.   I would get on top of all the things I'd let slide in email land.   I made it through two of my email accounts without much fuss and was starting to tackle one of the bigger accounts when I got to an email from YouTube, telling me they'd taken down one of my videos.   It had been flagged for review and upon subsequent review, had been taken down.   

What in the world had I posted that could violate YouTube's guidelines?   First off, I hadn't posted a single video in years and the only things I had posted back in time were cute videos of my children doing cute little tyke things for the grandparents, relatives, and friends to see.

The video was titled, "Potty Songs".   I would have reviewed it myself but I don't know when it was posted so I can't go back and easily find it in my own personal videos.   If I remember correctly, it's a video of my daughter sitting on the toilet singing songs.   The video is completely modest and doesn't show my tiny daughter in an inappropriate light.  Maybe the name was the flag?

It didn't matter though, because YouTube said there was an appeal process if I was interested with a link attached to the email.   I wasn't upset about the video being removed but decided to click the link and fill out the form anyways, thanking the folks at YouTube for keeping content on their site under control (there are bad things some people would otherwise post.)

Alas, YouTube told me when I clicked the link they provided in their email a window opened with the message, "Appealing this violation is not available."  Alas.   Regardless, I'm glad YouTube is working to keep content under control.  I know from things I've seen from creators on YouTube that sometimes videos get marked in error and it can be a hassle to get the video reposted.   In this case, I think the world can manage without the video of my tiny daughter singing on the toilet some years ago. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son loves to play with the things I've printed on the 3D printer.   I'm glad he's somewhat interested (his interest waxes and wanes) but sometimes he takes things and accidentally breaks them.   I don't mind overly much unless it was a model that took hours to print that had only been off the printer for a short while.   I told him to just ask before taking something.   Asking makes all the difference, I told him, because I can let him know if it's delicate or if he can play with it.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is currently reading a book on her Mantis refreshable braille display.   It's been a rough day with it involving conflict with my husband and me first of all and then my daughter with her father, Blake, and me.   She can easily download books from Bookshare and read them, but they're not at the level of braille she needs to be reading at.   Getting books to that specific level, copying them to the Mantis, and then having her find them in the file area and then get to the beginning of the first chapter.  Then, she decided she didn't like the first book.   She read for an hour though and now has audiobook listening privileges.   

No comments:

Post a Comment