Wednesday, October 14, 2020

I Have a Problem

I think it's time I admitted it.   I've been accused by my husband, children, and even Blake, who is staying with us until his family are well and truly beyond any possible suspicion of having any remains of COVID-19.    I thought I had it under control but after this past week, I'm afraid it's not something I can hide anymore. 

I'm addicted to filament.   Specifically the filament of the 1.75mm variety that prints in today's 3D printers.   my 3D printer and printing addiction is another topic altogether and I'll have to address that as well, but for today, I need to talk about filament. 

There are just so many colors, textures, and materials.   You can get copper and gold filament or filament that's silky that transitions through multiple colors in a single print.   There are translucent filaments, deeply pigmented filaments, and pastels.   Would you have thought you can get filaments that have small particles of wood in them so the resulting print has a wood-like appearance and feel?   Or marble.  You can get filaments that have—and get this—teeny tiny cut up bits of artificial hair.   Those bits of black, grey, or brown hair make the resulting print have a marble-like appearance. 

Then there are the types of filament.  By this, I mean the material the filament is made of itself.  What plastic polymers are combined to make them.   There is ABS, which is the same thing LEGOs are made out of, but that's only one of many types and each type has different properties.   You can even print with flexible materials that, when complete, might squish down like a tire or rubber duck.  

And lastly, there is quality.   I've learned over the course of the time since getting the first 3D printer that filaments are not all made alike.   There are lots of factors that can make a filament a dream to print with or a frustrating mass of stringing blobs that doesn't even remotely look like what you were trying to print. 

And I love them all.   Or, rather, I love having the option to print with just the right filament for the model, project, part, or toy.  Whether it's useful or whimsical, downloaded from another creator or designed by me; I want to have choices when I go to print it. 

My husband has, I think, done the proverbial, "throwing up of his hands" and doesn't even protest when another filament arrives in the mail.   I've told him several times, "I think I have everything I need now" only to find something else the very next day.   

It's fun though, having lots of choices. 

The Big Boy Update: On the way to school today I talked to my son all about Minecraft.   He really knows a lot about the game.   I think he like answering all my questions and knowing I was interested.   He would say to me when I got quiet, "do you have any more questions, mom?"  So, of course I did. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves a big box.   I got a kitchen trash can but didn't make the connection when a massive box arrived from Amazon today.   It must have been the best size to fit the trash can, even though half of the box was empty.   My daughter has had Blake and me shutting her in and pretending to get various packages in the mail and then be surprised when she jumps out.   She never tires of this type of game.


No comments:

Post a Comment