Monday, December 31, 2018

Some Days You Can’t Win

My son was having a hard time today.   He was being rude and unkind to his cousins and sister.   I caught the end of it when I got into the hot tub.   My son was upset, I think, because his sister was getting more attention than he was.   It’s hard to understand but somehow he’s feeling not included or left out of something.   The thing is, he’s been wanting to play on his Switch.  But maybe that’s been part of the problem.   I don’t know.

I’ve been good; I’ve kept my temper for days now.   That sound’s terrible, that it’s an accomplishment not losing my temper at my children.   It’s one of those things I’m working on.  I’m trying to be a better parent.  

My son refused to watch a movie with the family if he couldn’t play his Switch.   He was “forced” to watch the movie.   It was movie picked specifically for him, that everyone thought he’d like.  Now that he’s calm and watching, he’s actually liking the movie—aside from the bits where he’s scared.

Some days I can’t win though.  I was working on building my son’s self esteem up today, talking to him, listening to him and doing things with him.   And then I lose it all when I lost my temper at him tonight.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is excited tomorrow is 2019.   He’s about equally sad 2018 will be over tonight.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told Uncle Brian and me tonight at Dinner, “don’t say words starting with ‘M’because I miss Matisse so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment