Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Home Alone

I had a lot of things I think I would have written this blog post about tonight if I’d gotten to it at an earlier point in the evening.   As it is, I’m just getting to the first paragraph here, my husband has walked into the room and I’ve given him the finger up, “shhhsh” warning that I’m writing a blog post and interrupting me would be unwise.   Well, not unwise so much as would annoy me.

My husband said, “but you sent that email hours ago”.   I wasn’t sure what email he was talking about, but hours ago I’d told him to leave me alone so I could write a blog post and then I got distracted by many, many other things that needed my attention.   One of the things was my son who is out on holiday break as of lunch today.  He was in no way tired so we decided to let him watch Home Alone after his sister went to sleep.

It is relevant to the story here to say there are movies people assume I've seen.   Movies, “everybody’s seen”.   Just because a movie has a high pop-culture ranking, doesn’t necessarily mean I’ve seen it.   I have large gaps in that area—with Home Alone being one of the movies I’ve never seen.

I know what happens in the movie, have seen countless clips and people have talked about the movies for decades.   But I’ve never seen it.   Tonight I’m late writing this post because I kept getting sucked in to the move as I walked past or answered questions from my son.

I didn’t remember how old the boy was that’s left home alone in the movie.   It turns out he’s eight, fitting as my son is eight.   My son loved the movie, laughed, giggled, was impressed, and even cried at the end when his mother finally got home.   He didn’t want me to see that he was crying, so I pretended to be looking elsewhere while he wiped his eyes.

The Big Boy Update:  After watching Home Alone tonight, I warned my son to never, ever do any of those things in real life.   I don’t think he would, but just in case…

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had my daughter’s IEP annual meeting to update her “Individualized Education Plan” for the coming year.   We have a great team working with her.   Everyone was very complimentary of her.  She’s smart and driven and wants to do things for herself.   She is excelling in all areas of school, being above grade level in both reading and math, as well as learning all the additional skills such as braille and abacus work she uses when working on reading and math.


No comments:

Post a Comment