Saturday, December 15, 2018

Laser Tag and Donuts

Tonight is my son’s eighth birthday party.   We sort of encouraged him in a direction mostly because his parents were way behind on scheduling a birthday party for him.   I casually suggested a sleep over, which he was immediately excited about as we’ve never had them for parties before.   He wanted to invite his whole class, but settled on the three boys closest to our house, the three boys he plays with all the time.

He thought about it and said to me, “could their sisters come over at the beginning for a while?”   I told him that sounded like a good idea.   The girls could come over for dinner and cake and then the boys would stay for the night.

Cake?  No, he didn’t want cake, he wanted donuts instead.   Done.  Easy.   Today my husband and son went to Dunkin’ Donuts and picked out a selection for tonight.   The dinner my son wanted initially involved six or seven different restaurants.   He wanted to get food each child loved the most for their own custom meal.   He settled on P.F. Chang’s though because everyone liked that.

My husband ordered the food on his phone and went to pick it up after a quick stop at the grocery store for things to make breakfast with in the morning.  I hadn’t thought about breakfast but my husband had.   My son said pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon would be nice.   My husband loves to cook and said he’d make all of that in the morning.

There was a hiccup with the dinner though.   My husband walkie talkie’d me on my watch and said he was stuck at traffic at the mall.   Traffic in the mall’s parking areas was barely moving.   Neither of us had thought about it being a prime Christmas shopping day and the mall was packed.   He eventually found a parking spot and made it home just as the six children were arriving and their parents were leaving.

Claire, one of the sisters, told me it was a good night for the party because the other parents had dinner plans out and two of the girls were having a sleepover themselves.  Dinner and donuts took an hour and then, just as the other girls were leaving, my in-laws came to get my daughter, who was going to have the first sleepover ever at their new house.

I was marginally useful today with my broken rib and spasming back.   My husband said it was okay, he would take care of it all.   My son told me I should go lay down.   I did a bit of laying down and got a decent bit of things done, including washing the dog which was far overdue.

The house isn’t quiet now, even though there are half the children there were earlier.   The boys are playing laser tag.   I’m hiding in the bedroom but I can still hear their yelling from the next floor.   We’ll see what time they get to sleep tonight.

The Big Boy Update: On the way to school the other day my son asked me, “how many toes does Magneto have?”   We decided he must have eleven: ten on his feet and one in his name.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had a dog trainer come to work with the children today and give them some guidance on how to interact with the dog.   She gave my daughter some good advice on what to do and not do and how certain things are interpreted differently by a dog.   For instance, the only time dogs hug is when they’re fighting so hugging a dog when they don’t expect it can be the wrong message.   My daughter listened to her and has been trying to change her behavior since the trainer left.

No comments:

Post a Comment