Saturday, December 1, 2018

On Applying Eyeshadow

Today was my brother-in-law’s wedding.   Now I have two brother-in-laws.   They’re married.   Uncle Bob is still our Uncle Bob and Uncle Brian is also still our Uncle Brian, but now he’s officially Uncle Brian.   I can’t be happier for both of them.

It was one of those wedding days that gets away from you.   We, those of us who weren’t getting married, had time in the morning to get things done, or to relax, or perhaps a bit of both.  And we did get some of both done.   We had family staying with us and had time to catch up with them and their juvenile dog, Daisy, who my dog had the best time playing with.

My children were excited about the wedding attire they had for the wedding.   When it got time to get ready my son put on his navy sports coat, white shirt, navy bow tie with rainbow polka dots and looked so good we couldn’t stop telling him how sharp he looked.

My daughter had a navy dress with crinoline and a navy lace top.   She wore white tights and red felt shoes.   She looked darling.   All the navy color was because the grooms had navy tuxedos for their attire and I couldn’t help but jump in on the color theme.

I was running late with all the getting ready of everything else and didn’t have time to do my hair, which is an endeavor in and of itself because it’s long and takes time.  In the end, I’m glad I didn’t because it started raining and it would have gone frizzy no matter how assiduously I’d dried it—so I put it up.  What I had decided to do, because it was a formal occasion, was to put on makeup.

Some people do this daily.   I do this every few years.   I have a bag in the closet with the makeup I got for my wedding nine years ago.   I pulled it out and tried to remember what each thing was for.  Foundation, check.   That pink liquid Nana said I should get to put on my cheekbones to make me look happier, done.   Lipstick?  My husband said don’t wear any because he didn’t think I needed it.   I had a mild-ish color he said was okay so I went with it.   Mascara?  No way, I touch my eyes too much.   Eye liner I don’t know how to put on without making a mess.   Maybe eye shadow?

I was looking in the bag for the two colors of eye shadow and the applicator brush, trying to remember if I put the dark color closer to my nose and the lighter color towards the sides of my face or if it was the other way around.   I said to myself mostly out loud, "I don’t remember where to put on the eye shadow.”   My husband said, “I think you put it on your eyelids.”   Isn’t he the best, my husband?  Always ready to help.

On the way in the car we talked to the children about the ceremony, what an officiant was and the flow of the wedding since this was the first wedding they were involved in.   They were bringing rings down the aisle and presenting them to the grooms.   We had a book, that was actually a secret box.   When Scott, the officiant, asked who was presenting the rings, the children were to say, “we are!”   (When they did the audience laughed at their little excited voices.)  Then they were to walk down the aisle, holding the box between them.   Bob and Brian would take their rings out and then the children would come back to their seats with the box.

And they did just that.   My daughter, who is very good at following instructions, told them when they took their rings, “we have to take the box back” which also got another chuckle from the audience.   I didn’t get choked up until the very end of the reading they had asked me to do, which was a relief, I didn’t want to mess up my part of the ceremony by not being able to say the reading clearly.

Afterwards we had our sitter take the children to dinner and then she took them to a Hanukkah party her family was going to.   That meant the rest of us as adults could enjoy the dinner and some uninterrupted adult conversation.   It was delicious food, good company, happy wedding.   A Great day.

The Big Boy Update:  My son liked his dress attire so much he wanted to know if he could keep it on for the rest of the night after leaving the wedding.   He doesn’t like to be told he’s too cute or handsome, but tonight was an exception, he was positively pleased with all the compliments he got on how he looked.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter fell asleep in the car before we got to the wedding.   She wasn’t in a good mood and I was afraid she wasn’t going to be able to do her part in the wedding, delivering the rings.   Some ginger ale and a braille version of the program for her to read and she perked up.   She listened to the whole ceremony with her eyes closed.   She knew it was an important day for Uncle Bob and Uncle Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment