Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Feather Dinner

My daughter and husband made dinner from scratch today.   They were doing it, all at my daughter’s direction, for a Y Guides feather badge my daughter was working towards.   They made Panera-style tomato basil soup using a recipe my husband found online.   They spent a lot of time making the bread.    My daughter tore up the basil leaves and prepared the croutons (bought) for the table.

She set the table for the six of us (my parents joined us) and created a drink all her own that we all liked: orange juice, lemonade and one-and-a-half cans of plain seltzer in a pitcher.   For dessert she picked mini Klondike bars.  

As we ate we asked about how they had made the meal, starting from the beginning when they went to the store together.   But it went back further: my husband had brailled the shopping list on a sheet of paper for my daughter.   As they went down the aisles she told him what was next to get.

Then, today, she read the recipe sheets, also brailled by my husband, to make each item.   She did a lot of work to make this happen, but so did my husband.    Thanks to you both for a special dinner and evening with our family.

The Big Boy Update:  My son ate lunch in the office today.   He said it was fun, but he was covering up the fact that he was sent for threatening students in his class.   He threatened them because they were saying he was annoying.   He was annoying because he was either bored or lonely or had some hyperactivity thing going, I’m not sure, but it started a chain reaction.   The fallout continued when he got home.   He’s learning about consequences for his words and actions.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  At dinner tonight my daughter was the center of attention.   She likes it when this happens.  And she deserved it, she had worked very hard to make a memorable family dinner with her father.   It was hard for her brother to get a word in though, although I tried to keep him involved in the conversation somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment