Sunday, December 23, 2018

Early Christmas

Tomorrow is the 23rd of December, or I suppose more accurately, today is the 23rd of December.   My blog post for the 22nd has gotten late enough that it’s past midnight as I sit here in the basement typing.

We’re having Christmas early due to travel on the 25th.   My in-laws and parents are coming in the morning and we’re going to pretend it’s Christmas Day just like it would be normally on the 25th.   The children were worried about Santa.   We explained this happened to people from time to time and Santa was a fairly helpful and flexible guy.  

We’ll see what the children think about their presents from Santa tomorrow.   From us, there was a puppy some weeks ago, so they’re not expecting much.   From Santa they typically get one present.   My son is so easy.   He’s always been.   This year there will be two small pieces of cardboard that represent two games he wants on his Nintendo Switch.   He’ll be thrilled.

My daughter is questionable though.   I discovered this in her bag from school this morning:


She was wanting an airplane she could sit in and fly a week or two ago.   Now it looks like she wants a trampoline.   Either way, I’m afraid she’s going to be disappointed.   Hopefully the things we got her and the other presents under the tree for her will make up for the lack of a fully functional, child-sized airplane.   She’s a pretty understanding little girl.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son and Whitaker were making dominoes courses today, lining up the dominoes and then starting the chain reaction to knock them all down.   They had an idea part-way through though and got some tape.   We now have one hundred dominoes taped end to end going across the living room and into the foyer.   They can’t be knocked down, but they can’t stand up for that matter either.   We’ll see what they do with them tomorrow.   They were very proud of getting a full hundred taped together—a feat that required more than one roll of tape.  Whitaker was more into the towers.   He’s got a steady hand; here’s one of the towers he built before my son got interested in joining him.



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Aunt Margaret took my daughter to get a pedicure today.   They were trying to figure out the names of the nail polish colors and Margaret said she had to get her reading glasses out.   My daughter said with a sense of surprise and wonder, “you wear glasses?”  Margaret explained how she wore contacts some and glasses some of the time too.   My daughter reached out and touched Margaret’s face, feeling her glasses.   When Margaret told me the story I realized we don’t talk about who else also wears glasses but maybe we should.   Maybe it would make my daughter feel like she’s not alone with vision issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment