Thursday, December 13, 2018

Everything’s a Mess

If I’m going to do this blog post properly, it will be long, but I don’t know if I have it in me tonight.  I’ll start by saying we’re ending with the house a complete mess tonight.  Cookie trays are on the counter with no covers.  Dirty dishes are out, backpacks haven’t been unpacked.   Lunches aren’t made.   Things are in total disarray and the dog has strewn her toys all over the place alongside dirty clothes and shoes.

My husband singlehandedly coordinated our neighborhood holiday party which was tonight.   I coordinated the luminary neighborhood event, which was tonight.  Both events went well, with the holiday party being a lovely event.   My husband turns out to be excellent at planning, coordinating catering, decorating and socializing with everyone.   I continue to be impressed.

The luminary event ran itself for the most part, making my job easy.   Supplies were ordered, emails were sent out, people picked up supplies from our porch and left or sent payment and luminaries were lit tonight before the holiday party.   Easy.

But back to the house and why it’s a mess.  It’s in part because today was a heck of a busy day.   The other part is my day yesterday was a bad one.   Let me explain…

Schools were delayed three hours yesterday due to melting snow, below freezing temperatures and black ice.   I ran out of the house, nearly late to a nine o’clock appointment, arrived, opened the car door and promptly slipped on a patch of black ice I hadn’t even seen and did a fancy pratfall onto the macadam.

A visit to the chiropractor and I found out I hadn’t messed things up too badly, which is good for me because I’m typically a klutz of high level skills.   I won’t enumerate the additional things that went wrong yesterday, but it didn’t get better after the black ice incident.

It ended, after the children went to bed, with me carrying downstairs presents with wool socks on the wooden steps.   Three steps from the bottom and I slipped.   I tried to catch myself but my feet, when landing on the floor only slid quickly forward, causing me to slam my right back ribcage directly into the edge of the step.

There was a crack.   I felt it.   I hoped it was alignment kind of thing where a bone “pops” but I wasn’t sure.   I took an NSAID and hoped for the best.   I was awake in a lot of pain at six o’clock and figured I’d go ahead and go into the chiropractors office to have him eliminate alignment or adjust me.   One x-ray later and we didn’t have answers.   He didn’t see a fracture on the x-ray, but it could be a hairline fracture that was hidden by my diaphragm.

Alignment-wise I was fine, pain-wise I was not.   Stabbing sharp pain that made it difficult to get up and down, breathe, hurt to laugh, etc.   But that didn’t mean it was a break.   I was going to wait a day and go to the orthopedic clinic on Friday but things just got more painful as the day went on so I went into the walk-in clinic.

Two more x-rays and the doctor said she didn’t see indications of a significant break, but the location, T10 rib, was hard to see due to positioning in the body.   She thought based on my symptoms and specific pain areas it was probablly a hairline fracture.   Either in the rib main body or at the connection point of the rib, called a “transverse process fracture”.

The good news is it will heal on its own with no intervention.   The bad news is I’m useless, or at least feel like I am with a day as busy as today was.   So the house is a mess, my husband is over at the clubhouse, probablly cleaning up for the next few hours and I’m going to try to get to sleep after taking another NSAID the doctor recommended.

The Big Boy Update:   At the neighborhood party tonight my son was the most outgoing, boisterous, energetic, friendly and happy friend to the other boys there.   His energy level didn’t drop, even when we got home.   I hope he’s asleep tonight.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter fell asleep on the floor in front of the fireplace shortly after arriving at the clubhouse tonight.   We couldn’t wake her and she went to sleep right after getting home and in warm pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment